To make your hair blonder you can choose from all kinds of chemical products, but it is also possible with natural ingredients. Sunlight will lighten your hair, so try to be outside as much as possible! And in addition to the sun, you can also use lemon juice, vitamin C or salt water to bleach your hair in a natural way. Choose a product, put it on your hair and before you know it you will see it lighten.
Method 1 of 2: Bleach your hair naturally
Step 1. Try to be out in the sun for one to four hours a day, especially in the summer
Direct sunlight naturally lightens the follicles of your hair, making your hair blonder. The more often you are out in the sun, the lighter your hair will become over time. Spend as much time outside as possible and you will notice that your hair changes color after just a week or two. Just don't forget to apply so that your skin doesn't burn!
- Try to get outside every day, weather permitting. You may not succeed every day, but the more the sun shines on your hair, the blonder it gets.
- For example, you can go for a bike ride, go for a walk or play tennis, or, if you have the chance, lie on the beach.
- If you live somewhere warm and sunny all year round, you can do this any time of the year, and you don't have to wait for summer to arrive.
Step 2. Apply lemon juice to your hair to bleach it naturally
Lemon juice consists of citric acid. When it gets warm, lemon juice causes the cuticles of your hair to open, lifting the pigment out of your hair, as it were. Put a little lemon juice in your palms, rub your hands together, then run your hands through your hair. Try to do this right before you go outside, and you'll soon notice that your hair will be even lighter that way! Wash your hands after applying the lemon juice to your hair with soap and water.
- For longer hair, you may need more lemon juice. An easy way to evenly distribute lemon juice on long hair is to put the juice in a spray bottle. Spray your hair with it before going outside.
- Lemon vodka has the same effect on your hair. You can also use lemon vodka instead of lemon juice if you want. Just pour one to three tablespoons of it into your hands and spread it over your hair.
- You can also put some lemon juice through your conditioner and rinse your hair with it. This will make your hair blond faster after a while than if you just sit in the sun.
Step 3. Spray dyed hair to lighten it with a salt water solution
Sprinkle one to two tablespoons (15-30 grams) of salt into a spray bottle and top up with tap water. Then spray the salt water all over your hair. Do this before going out on a sunny day, and after just a few weeks you will notice your hair getting lighter.
- Salt water helps to lighten hair that's already colored because the salt opens up your cuticles, allowing the sun to penetrate the follicles more easily and lighten the pigment.
- This is a good option if you already have blond or light brown hair and want to make it even lighter.
Step 4. Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar to bleach it in a milder way
Apple cider vinegar is very good for your hair, as it washes the flakes and oil from your scalp, while also lightening your hair in a mild and more gradual way. Put one part apple cider vinegar and six parts water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture evenly over your hair. Then wash your hair as usual with shampoo and conditioner.
- You can also use regular white vinegar. Apple cider vinegar works best, but other types of vinegar produce about the same result.
- Apple cider vinegar also helps degrease your hair and reduce frizz.
- While this method will certainly help lighten your hair, you may need to rinse a few times to see results.
Step 5. Wash your hair blonder by mixing vitamin C into your shampoo
Pulverize with a rolling pin or, for example, a can of soup, three to five pills with 500 mg of vitamin C each. Roll over the pills until you have a fine powder. Put some shampoo in a bowl and sprinkle in the powdered vitamin C. Stir everything together well and then put the mixture through your hair. Cover with a plastic shower cap and let it sit for an hour. Then rinse your hair well with water and finally with conditioner.
Your hair will probably start to lighten after just a few shampoos with vitamin C
Step 6. Rinse your hair with beer after shampooing it
The proteins and vitamins in the beer nourish your hair, while at the same time opening the cuticle layer. Open a can or bottle of beer and let it sit until it has flattened and is at room temperature. Before washing your hair, pour the beer over your head and massage it through your scalp. Rinse your hair well and then wash it with shampoo and conditioner as usual.
Beer is known to help lighten the pigment of your hair over time. In addition, your hair will shine extra
Step 7. Lighten your hair one to two shades with a combination of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
The chemical reaction that happens when baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mix can lighten your hair several shades. To do this, mix 250 grams of baking soda with three tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in a bowl. Then do this on your hair. Start at the roots and work towards the tips. Let the hair mask sit for half an hour to an hour and then rinse it well with shampoo and conditioner.
- Immediately after rinsing, your hair may look one or two shades lighter!
- Don't let the mixture sit on your hair for more than an hour. The chemical mixture can dry out and damage your hair.
Step 8. Lighten your hair overnight with a mixture of honey, cinnamon, olive oil and vinegar
In a bowl, mix one tablespoon (15 grams) of cinnamon, 250 ml of honey, one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and half a liter of distilled vinegar into a smooth paste. Leave the mixture for half an hour to an hour and then apply it to your wet hair. Cover your head with a plastic bag or hair cap and let the mixture work overnight. The next morning, wash your hair as usual with shampoo. Your hair may already be lighter in color.
- Comb the mixture through your hair to distribute it evenly, or create highlights yourself by applying it to the areas you want to bleach.
- You can also wash the mixture out of your hair after one to three hours. That way, your hair will lighten in a mild way and you won't have to sleep with plastic over your hair.
- You may need to do this a few times before your hair really gets lighter.
- If you don't have cinnamon, you can use cardamom instead.
Step 9. Lighten darker hair with a rinse of 100 – 150 grams of rhubarb
Take more than 100 grams of fresh rhubarb and chop it into small pieces. Put the rhubarb together with half a liter of water in a pan and bring the water to the boil. Once the water starts to boil, put the lid on the pan and remove it from the heat. Let the mixture stand for about ten minutes and then pour the water with the rhubarb pieces through a sieve. Rinse your hair after shampooing it with the rhubarb water and let it air dry.
- After a few rhubarb rinses, your hair will naturally lighten.
- This method works especially well if you have dark blond to dark brown hair.
Step 10. Cheer up blonde hair with a chamomile tea mask
Let a bag of chamomile tea steep in a quart of hot water for about ten minutes. Let the tea cool to room temperature and then rinse your hair with the tea. Let the tea sit in your hair for 15 to 20 minutes. For the strongest effect, you can do the tea rinse a maximum of two or three times. Then wash your hair in the normal way with shampoo.
- Chamomile is said to lighten hair that is already blond or light brown.
- You can also use black tea.
Method 2 of 2: Using bleaching products
Step 1. Lighten your hair in a simple way with a bleaching spray
There are several brands of bleaching products that cause a chemical reaction in combination with sunlight. That reaction ensures that your hair becomes lighter. Simply spray the product on your hair and go out for a walk in the sun! This way your hair will be blonder within a few hours.
- For example, try the Sun-In brand.
- These products make your hair blonder, but it is of course not a natural method. Over time, it can damage and even break your hair.
Step 2. Wash your hair with a lightening shampoo
If you're looking to gradually bleach your hair, get a shampoo specifically designed for blonde or advertised as "lightening." Put some on your hair and let the shampoo sit for two to three minutes before rinsing your hair.
- Your hair should start to lighten after about two weeks of daily use.
- In addition to bleaching shampoo, you can often buy lightening conditioners from the same brand.
Step 3. Dye your hair blonde if you want to be a permanent blonde
If you have darker hair or would like to be permanently blonder, consider dyeing your hair. For the best results, it is best to go to the hairdresser and explain what you would like. He or she can highlight, brighten up your existing color or lighten your dark color a shade.
You can also dye your hair yourself. However, the bleaching process can be harmful to your hair and it takes a lot of time to lighten dark hair. Before you decide to dye your hair yourself, take a good look at the internet. Always use good quality paints and bleaches to minimize the chance of damaging your hair, skin, or eyes
- If you've dyed blonde hair, you can keep it as blonde as possible by covering your hair with something like a hat, scarf, or headband when you're out in the sun.
- Blonde hair can also fade quickly in salt water and chlorine. Keep your hair beautiful and healthy by rinsing it well with tap water after swimming in the sea or in a pool.
- To keep blonde healthy, always use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Treat your hair once a week with a so-called deep conditioner, to keep your hair hydrated and healthy through and through while you bleach it. This way you prevent your hair from breaking down and you keep that sunny shine for longer!