Since the PlayStation 4 (PS4) is not backwards compatible, PlayStation 3 (PS3) users will not be able to insert the PS3 discs into the PS4 console, nor redownload PS3 games from the PlayStation network to play on the PS4. However, users can find and play more than 800 PS2, PS3 and PS4 games through a streaming service called PlayStation Now. This wikiHow teaches you how to sign up for PlayStation Now.
Part 1 of 3: Getting a PlayStation Now subscription
Step 1. Connect your PS4 to the internet
If you haven't already done so, connect your PS4 to the internet. To use PlayStation Now you need broadband internet to connect to.
Step 2. Sign up for a Playstation Network account
If you haven't already done so, you'll need to sign up for a Playstation Network account. You can do this on your PS4 or through the Playstation Store website.
Step 3. Select the PlayStation Store icon
This is the first icon on the PlayStation 4 dynamic menu. It has an icon that resembles a shopping bag. Press X on the controller to select PlayStation Store. This is where you can buy PlayStation Now and sign up.
Step #4. Scroll down and select PS Now
It's at the bottom of the sidebar menu on the left.
Step 5. Select Start a 7-day free trial
It's the orange button in the middle of the screen. You get a 7-day free trial of PlayStation Now. After that it costs €9.99 per month.
- You can explore the Playstation Now library online at https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-now/games/. Simply click on the blue button with the text View all games.
Step 6. Select Subscribe
It's the blue button under '7 days free trial' on the left. Press the X button to select it.
- if it says Not available for purchase you may have already used the PS Now free trial.
Step 7. Select Confirm Purchase
This is the third button on the right. Use the direction buttons or the left stick to navigate to the button and press X to select it.
- You can also Connection test select to test if your internet connection is fast enough for Playstation Now.
Step 8. Enter your Playstation Network password
To confirm your purchase, you must enter the password associated with your PSN account. Use the controller to navigate to the on-screen keyboard and type in your PSN password and press X. This will start your PS Now free trial.
- If you choose not to renew your subscription after the 7-day free trial, you must turn off auto-renewal before the trial ends. Navigate to Institutions to turn off auto-renewal on your PlayStation 4. Then select Account management. Select Account Information, and select PlayStation subscriptions. Select Playstation Now Subscription and select Turn off auto-renewal.
Part 2 of 3: Playing PS3 games on PS Now
Step #1. Press the PS button on your controller
This is the button with the PlayStation logo in the center of your Dualshock controller. This will open the dynamic menu on the PS4.
Step #2. Open the PS Now app
It has an icon that resembles the PlayStation logo in a round triangle. Use the controller to navigate to the PS Now app on the dynamic menu and press X to open the app.
- If you don't see the PS Now app in your dynamic main menu, navigate all the way to the right and select Library. Then select Applications in the left sidebar and select PS Now in the application menu.
Step 3. Select Start
It's under the Playstation Now icon on the right. This opens the app.
Step #4. Select Browse
This is the third tab at the top of the screen. Use the left stick or the directional buttons on the controller to navigate to it and press X.
- Alternatively, you can instead To search select if you know a specific game you want to play. Select Type to search and use the onscreen keyboard to type the name of the game you want to search for.
Step 5. Select the PS3 Games box
This is the fourth box in the browse menu. This shows a list of all available PS3 games.
Step 6. Select a game
Use the left stick or directional buttons on the controller to navigate to a game you want to play. Press X to open the game.
Step 7. Select Stream Now
This is the blue button under the title of the game. This starts the game. Wait a few moments for the game to finish loading.
- Press the PS button on the controller to open the PS Now menu.
- Press the right side of the touchpad to press Start.
- Press the left side of the touchpad to press Select.
Part 3 of 3: Troubleshooting
Step #1. Switch to a wired connection
A wired connection is often more reliable than a wireless connection. If PlayStation Now cannot stream or connect properly via a wireless connection, try switching to a wired connection.
Sony recommends using a wired connection with an Ethernet cable for best results when using PlayStation Now
Step 2. Pause or cancel large downloads and other streaming services
If your connection is bad while playing PlayStation Now, you may be using too much bandwidth. Make sure no major downloads or streaming services (like Netflix or YouTube) are running on other devices connected to your wireless network. Large downloads and streaming services running on smartphones and other computers can disrupt the streaming speed for PlayStation Now on your PS4.