Databases such as MySQL are sometimes difficult to get started. Follow these instructions to properly install and configure MySQL.
Step 1. Log in to your computer as an administrator
You need administrator rights for a smooth installation. This is no longer necessary after you have installed the program.
Step 2. Download the free MySQL Server Community Edition
Make sure to download the version with a Windows installer. Save the file to your desktop.
- If you are not sure which version to choose, please select MySQL Installer for Windows.
Step 3. Double click on the downloaded file
You have just downloaded a.zip file, if you double click on it the zip will be extracted.
Step 4. Double click on Setup.exe (it should be the only file there)
Now the installation process begins.
Step 5. Click Next
Step 6. Click Custom > Next
By choosing 'Custom' you can specify where you want to install MySQL. If you have installed Apache in C:\Server you need to put MySQL in the same folder.
- In the next window, select MySQL Server and click Change.
- In the next window change in the text box Folder Name the folder name to C:\Server\MySQL\. Then click OK.
- In the next window click on Next. Now MySQL is ready to install.
Step 7. Click Install
Wait for the program to finish installing.
Step 8. Click on 'Skip Sign-Up' and then click on Next
When the installation process is complete, a window called MySQL Sign Up. You can skip this and log in later if you want. Now a new window will appear with the words Wizard Completed.
Step 9. Configure MySQL
Leave the option Configure the MySQL Server Now checked and click on Finish.
Step 10. Click Next
This will start the configuration settings.
Step 11. Check:
'Standard Configuration' and click Next. You have chosen the default configuration, recommended for most users.
Step 12. Make sure the following options are checked:
'Install As Windows Service' and 'Launch the MySQL Server Automatically'. Click Next.
Step 13. Create a root password
Now type in the text box what you want to set as root password and make sure the option 'Enable root access from remote machines' is checked. Always choose a password that is difficult to guess and keep it in a safe place so you can't forget it. Click Next.
Step 14. Click Execute
Now the MySQL server will save the settings. Click Finish.
Step 15. Now go to Start > All Programs > MySQL > MySQL Server 4.x > MySQL Command line client
This will open a command window and you will be prompted for your password.
Step 16. Enter the chosen root password and press Enter
This will start up MySQL.
Step 17. Done
- MySQL works on the following versions of Windows: 2003 Server, 2008 Server, XP, Vista, and 7.
- If you want to install the Apache/PHP/MySQL combo package on Windows you need to download the XAMPP package. This package includes: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.