Are you preparing a dance to music and wondering how other people get those cool mixes? Do you want to make your own mix, but do you have a limited budget? No problem, you can easily make a mix at home on your computer! It takes some practice, but you can learn it quickly. We'll show you how.
Step 1. Download a music editing program
There are several options.
Audacity is a free music editing program suitable for Mac, PC and Linux
Step 2. Find some songs that go well together
Look for songs with a similar tempo and feel, or look for songs that work well with your dance moves
Step 3. Open the songs in the program
Create a new empty file.
- Find the parts you want to use from each song.
Cut out the pieces from the songs, put them in the correct order and paste them into the empty file.
Step 4. Add sound effects
You can download thousands of sound effects from the internet and add some stuff to your mix.
Step 5. Timing is everything
Make sure your mix meets your requirements. Listen carefully to the mix and practice your steps. Adjust the mix if something doesn't feel right. Once you've made a few mixes, you'll see it gets easier!
Step 6. Burn the mix to a CD
Congratulations, you just made a great mix, it's time to start using the mix.
- Music editing software makes it very easy to cut/paste and superimpose music. You can make music slower or faster. That way you can use songs that were actually too slow or too fast.
- Place the sound effects at moments when you make a spectacular movement.
- Always make a copy of your mixes. You may be able to reuse parts of a mix later on.
- Watch out for free music downloads. It is illegal and may contain viruses.
- Practice well before revealing your dance to the public!