Thanks to WhatsApp, it's easier than ever to call and chat with family and friends these days! WhatsApp allows you to send photos, videos and text messages to people all over the world, even if they don't have a phone connection. Exactly how you should download WhatsApp partly depends on the type of phone, tablet or computer you use. Therefore, follow the instructions below that apply to your device. Once you have downloaded WhatsApp you can create an account that you can use immediately.
Method 1 of 4: On a mobile with iOS (an iPhone or an iPad)
Step 1. Open the
app store on your iPhone.
Tap the app store icon. It is shaped like a white 'A' against a light blue background. Make sure that you have entered all necessary information in the app store, such as your email address and payment information, and that you have signed in to Apple with your username.
- WhatsApp is free, but iOS won't let you download apps if you still have payments open.
- Before you download WhatsApp, first check whether your device is equipped with iOS 9 or a newer version.
Step #2. Tap on Search
This tab is at the very bottom right of the screen. Tapping it will take you to a new page in the app store. There you can search for the names of specific apps.
If you don't have Wi-Fi, you'll need to activate your mobile data to open the app store and use the search function
Step #3. Tap on the search bar
To do this, tap the "Games, apps, stores and more" field at the top of the screen. At that point, the keyboard will appear on your iPhone's screen, allowing you to type.
Step 4. Find WhatsApp
Type in whatsapp and tap the blue button To search at the bottom right of the keyboard. You may be given a few different options, but the full name of the app you want is "WhatsApp Messenger."
The app is produced by 'WhatsApp Inc.'
Step 5. Tap on BUY
This button is located to the right of the 'WhatsApp Messenger' heading almost in the middle of the screen. As soon as you click on it, the 'Buy' button changes into a spinning wheel.
- If you have downloaded WhatsApp before, instead of the buy button, you will see a cloud icon with 'Download' here.
see on it.
Step 6. When prompted, scan your Touch ID fingerprint
A small screen will now appear at the bottom of the screen asking for your fingerprint. Hold your thumb or index finger against the area designated for your Touch ID to instruct WhatsApp to download the app to your iPhone.
- If you don't have Touch ID, or if your Touch ID isn't associated with the app store, you'll need to click to install Tap the bottom of the screen and enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
- Skip this step if WhatsApp download starts automatically.
Step 7. Wait for WhatsApp download process to complete
With most internet connections via Wi-Fi or LTE, WhatsApp download should take no more than a few seconds. Once you have downloaded WhatsApp, you can immediately create a WhatsApp account by clicking the app icon on your phone.
- If you want to open WhatsApp and create an account immediately after downloading the app, you can click TO OPEN to tap. You will find this option to the right of the 'WhatsApp Messenger' heading.
- If you've previously had a WhatsApp account and want to import your data, open the app and check your phone number when prompted. Once your data has been saved, it will be downloaded immediately.
Method 2 of 4: On a smartphone with Android
Step 1. Open the
Google Play Store.
Tap the icon of the so-called Play Store from Google. It looks like a colored triangle. This way you open the Play Store, and there you can search for apps and then download them.
Check whether your Android phone has OS or 4.0.3 or a higher version
Step #2. Tap on the search bar
You can find it at the top of the screen. The on-screen keyboard will then appear, allowing you to type.
You will then see: 'Search apps & games'
Step 3. Type in whatsapp
A drop-down menu will then appear with results that match the search query. The app that you must have is called 'WhatsApp Messenger' in full from WhatsApp Inc.
There should also be a green check mark next to the app you are looking for. That means that Google has been able to verify that this is the original version of WhatsApp
Step 4. Click INSTALL
Next to WhatsApp you should see a large, green button that says 'Install'. Tap it and the app will be automatically installed on your smartphone.
If you have downloaded WhatsApp before, this button will say 'Open.' In that case you can open the app directly
Step 5. Tap 'Accept and Continue' when prompted
This way you ensure that WhatsApp is installed on your Android phone.
You hereby indicate that you agree with the privacy conditions of WhatsApp. If you would like to read them before agreeing, click on the 'Privacy Terms' text to open a separate website with the terms
Step 6. Wait for WhatsApp to be completely installed
With an internet connection based on Wi-Fi or LTE, WhatsApp download should not take more than a few seconds. Once the download process is complete, you can continue installing WhatsApp.
- If you want to open WhatsApp to enter your information and use the app immediately after downloading, you can click on OPEN right click on the screen.
Method 3 of 4: On a PC (on a computer with Windows or a Mac with OS)
Step 1. Open WhatsApp website to download the program
To do this, go to https://www.whatsapp.com/download in the web browser on your computer. When you have opened the website you will see a number of options; you can choose to install WhatsApp on your phone or on your PC.
- To use WhatsApp on your computer, you must first have the mobile version installed on your iPhone or on your phone with Android. You must also always register via your telephone first.
- WhatsApp will automatically determine whether you are using a computer with Windows or a Mac.
Step 2. Click on the DOWNLOAD button
It's a green button on the right side of the page. That way you instruct WhatsApp to start the download process to your computer.
This button will also show your computer's operating system
Step 3. Wait until the installation process download process is complete
This will take a few minutes. Once the WhatsApp EXE (for Windows) or DMG (for a Mac) file download process is complete, you can proceed.
Do not turn off your computer while WhatsApp is being downloaded and installed
Step 4. Install WhatsApp
This process may vary a bit depending on your computer's operating system:
- Windows - Double click the file WhatsAppSetup and wait for the installation process to complete. WhatsApp will then open automatically.
- Mac - Double-click the DMG file, then drag the WhatsApp icon to the apps folder on your computer.
Step 5. Sign in to WhatsApp
Once you have WhatsApp installed on your computer, you can use WhatsApp on your phone to scan the QR code so you can sign in to your WhatsApp account. If you have not yet created an account in WhatsApp, you must first create one on your phone before you can log in on your computer.
The version of WhatsApp you use on your computer is directly linked to the WhatsApp version on your phone. If you turn off your phone or remove the app from your phone, you will no longer be able to use WhatsApp on your computer
Method 4 of 4: Tips for the elderly
Step #1. To get started, sign up with Apple or Google
Downloading WhatsApp will be much easier if you are already logged in with your Apple or Google ID before opening the Appstore. If you don't have an ID yet, create one first, then log in.
- If you're using iOS (on an iPhone or iPad), open the "Settings" app and click "Sign in to your [device]." Enter your Apple ID and password and sign in.
- On an Android smartphone, open the "Settings" app and click "Accounts" > "Add Account" > "Google." Enter your username and password as instructed and sign in to Google Play.
Step 2. If you have a special smartphone for the elderly, follow the instructions for a smartphone with Android
If you are the proud owner of a Jitterbug, i.e. a simplified smartphone for the elderly (that has a touchscreen), you can follow the steps as described in the method to install WhatsApp on a smartphone or tablet with Android. Open Google's Play Store, search for WhatsApp, then click "Install" and then "Accept and Continue."
If you're having trouble, go back to the section that explains how to install WhatsApp on an Android smartphone for more specific instructions
Step 3. Add contacts from your phone to WhatsApp
For example, if you want to use WhatsApp with your family members, and you already have their phone numbers, WhatsApp will import those contacts automatically. If at any time you want to add a new contact to WhatsApp, just add it to your phone. It is then automatically saved in WhatsApp as well.
You cannot delete contacts from WhatsApp; so once you add a contact, it will stay in your contacts list forever
- Once you have downloaded WhatsApp, you can link your own mobile number and contact list to the app.
- If you are unable to download WhatsApp on your smartphone or tablet, you may not have enough memory or need to upgrade your OS. Check your settings to find out why the app download is not successful.