Stickers are images that you can add to your text messages. With stickers you have many more options than with traditional smileys and emoji. WhatsApp itself does not support stickers, but you can use images in a similar way. There are a lot of sticker apps available in your device's app store, but WhatsApp lets you add any image you want. That means you can use any image as a sticker, if you want.
Method 1 of 2: Using sticker apps
Step 1. Understand how stickers work in WhatsApp
WhatsApp itself does not support stickers. Instead, you add images to your messages in WhatsApp. There are several apps with collections of images that look like traditional stickers. You can add these to your messages for the recipient to see.
Unfortunately, you cannot use animated stickers in WhatsApp because WhatsApp does not support stickers. However, you can send short video clips
Step 2. Open your device's app store
There are a ton of apps with thousands of stickers that you can use in WhatsApp and various other messaging services. Sticker apps are available for download for both iOS and Android.
Step #3. Search for a sticker app
When looking for sticker apps, make sure you don't install apps that request access to too much data. Read reviews to see if the app works for other WhatsApp users. Many sticker apps only have a small amount of free stickers. Some of the most popular apps are:
- Emojidom (Android)
- Smileys and Memes for Chat (Android)
- Stickers Free (iOS)
- ChatStickerz - Funny Emoji Stickers (iOS)
Step 4. Open the sticker app to search for a sticker
Most sticker apps have different categories of stickers. Many apps have some free stickers, as well as a collection of stickers that cost money. Find the perfect sticker for your message.
Step 5. Tap on the sticker you want to use
This is how you select the sticker you want to add to WhatsApp.
Step 6. Add the selected sticker to WhatsApp
How you do this differs per app.
- Emojidom – This app has a keyboard and screen for your message. Tap your message and add the desired stickers. Tap the 'Share' button when you're done and choose 'WhatsApp'. You can also tap the 'Add' button in WhatsApp and choose Emojidom as your album to be able to choose stickers.
- Smileys and Memes for Chat – Tap the sticker you want to send to WhatsApp. When you have chosen a sticker, tap 'WhatsApp' in the bottom right corner. Make any adjustments and then tap the "Done" button. WhatsApp will open and you can choose a conversation to add the sticker to.
- Stickers Free - Tap the sticker you want to add to your conversation in WhatsApp. Choose 'WhatsApp' from the list of messaging apps. Tap "Open in WhatsApp" to open WhatsApp. Select the conversation you want to paste the sticker into.
- ChatStickerz – Search for and tap the sticker you want to add to WhatsApp. In the list of apps, choose WhatsApp. If you don't see WhatsApp, tap 'More' and choose WhatsApp. Select the conversation you want to add the sticker to.
Method 2 of 2: Using an image
Step 1. Understand that WhatsApp sees stickers as images
Since WhatsApp does not support stickers, you send regular image files. You can find picture files for stickers on the internet and save them to send them in WhatsApp as stickers.
WhatsApp does not support animated stickers. The image will be sent, but only the first frame will be displayed
Step 2. Find an image you want to send as a sticker
WhatsApp allows you to send any image, so if you find something on the internet that you think would be a good sticker, you can use it. You can save images from any site if you think they would be good stickers.
Step 3. Save the image to your device
When you've found an image you want to use, tap and hold it to open the image menu. Choose 'Save image' to save the image in the Photos app or image gallery of your device.
Step 4. Add the photo to your WhatsApp message
From the conversation screen, tap "Add" and search through the images you have stored on your device. The image you saved may be in an album called 'Downloads'.
Step 5. Select the image you want to use as a sticker
The smaller the image is, the more it looks like a sticker.