This wikiHow teaches you how to change and stylize the font in WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android. Please note that there is no way to permanently change the font in WhatsApp. You can only bold, italic, strikethrough specific text per message and apply the FixedSys.
Step 1. Open WhatsApp
Tap the WhatsApp app icon, which looks like a white speech bubble with a telephone receiver on a green background.
If WhatsApp opens to a login page, follow the on-screen instructions to log in with your phone number
Step #2. Tap Chats
It's a speech bubble icon at the bottom of the screen. This will open a list of current conversations.
- On Android, tap the CHAT tab at the top of the screen.
- If WhatsApp opens in a chat, tap the 'Back' button in the top left corner of the screen to return to the Chats page.
Step 3. Select a chat
Tap the chat whose text you want to send with a custom font.
You can also start typing a new chat by tapping the 'New Chat' icon in the top right (iPhone) or bottom right (Android) and choosing a contact
Step 4. Tap on the text field
This is at the bottom of the screen. This will bring your phone's keyboard into view.
Step 5. Enter a message
Type the message you want to send with a different font.
Step 6. Change the font of the message
You have several options to adjust the font:
To text Fat to create, type an asterisk * before and after the message. For example *Hello!* becomes Hey!
- To make text italic, type an underscore _ before and after the text of the message. For example, _How are you?_ becomes How are you?
- To add a strikethrough, type a tilde ~ before and after the message text (eg, ~I made a mistake~).
Step 7. Using the FixedSys font
By using three apostrophes ``` (pointing down from left to right) before and after the message, you can unlock a secret font similar to the one used in Command Prompt and Terminal.
- For example, ```Computers will conquer humanity``` becomes
Computers will conquer humanitywhen it is sent.
- On an iPhone, you must press the 123 button on the keyboard and hold the apostrophe ' key, then choose the left-most option from the drop-down menu that appears.
Step 8. Send your message
Tap the "Send" icon
to the right of the text to do that. Your message will be automatically formatted and sent.
The symbols you typed on both sides of the message are not visible in the conversation
- iPhone users can also tap and hold text to get a pop-up menu, then tap Select everything in that menu to select all text and tap B, I, or YOU in the next menu to make text bold, italic, or underlined. This is also possible for Android users, but then you have to tap and hold text to select all, then tap ⋮ in the top right corner and choose an option (e.g., B for fat).
- Only works for the text between the formatting symbols.
- There is no option to permanently format text in WhatsApp.