Tired of your username on Twitter? Fortunately, it is very easy to change it. Just log in to your account, open your Settings, enter a new username and voila: the job is done. You'll be sending your messages out into the world under a new name in no time!
Method 1 of 2: Changing your twitter username on your computer
Step 1. Go to Twitter's website
If you immediately arrive at your account page, you are already logged in and you can skip the next step.
Step 2. Log in to your Twitter account
- On the Twitter homepage, type your username and password in the appropriate boxes. Click on "Log in" to continue.
- If you don't remember your username, you can also log in with your email address or phone number. If you have forgotten your password, click on the "Forgot your password?" link.
Step 3. Click on the icon at the top right of the screen
The icon is a small version of your profile picture. If you haven't selected a profile picture yet, the icon will look like a drawn egg
Step 4. In the menu, choose "Settings"
This should be the second to last option
Step 5. Type your new username in the box provided
- Your current name will be displayed near the top of the screen. Enter your new name here.
- As you type in your name, Twitter will automatically check if the name is still available.
- If the name you have selected is taken, you will have to choose a different name or adjust the name you came up slightly. For example, add another letter or number.
Step 6. Scroll down and click "Save Changes"
Step 7. Re-enter your password when prompted
- This will permanently save your new username.
- Check whether your new username has actually been saved. You can see this right away.
Step 8. Consider letting your followers know about the change
- According to Twitter, changing your username will not affect your existing followers, saved posts, or replies. Your followers will simply see a new username with your tweets.
- To ensure that your followers send the messages to the right person, it is useful to let them know about the change.
Method 2 of 2: Changing your twitter username on your phone
It is currently not possible to change your username via the Twitter app. However, you can log into Twitter from your phone in your browser and change things that way.
Step 1. Go to Twitter's mobile site in your phone's browser
It is important that you do not use the app, but the browser
Step 2. Log in
- Click the "Log in" button at the bottom right of the screen.
- Enter your username and password and press "Log in" again.
Step 3. Press the "Me" tab
- At the top right of the screen you will find the "Me" tab.
- Press to continue.
Step #4. Go to your Settings
- You will now see your profile information. Click the Settings icon on the left side of the screen to continue.
- On Android devices, this icon resembles a gear. However, this may vary by system or version of Twitter.
Step 5. Choose "Settings" in the menu
This should be the second option in the menu
Step 6. Scroll down and press "Edit" on your username
Scroll down until you see the "Username" heading. Then press the "Edit" link next to it
Step 7. Type in your new username
- Tap the box that contains your current username. Delete that name and type in your new name.
- If you don't want to come up with your own name, you can also choose an automatically generated username.
Step 8. Type in your password and press "Save" to confirm the change
Make sure you have selected the correct name before pressing "Save"
- Keep your username short, but not so short that you are unrecognizable. If you want people to respond to your tweets, the length of your username is very important. Your username can be up to 15 characters long.
- Good reasons to change your username are:
- Your username was a joke that you no longer find funny.
- Your username refers to something that is no longer relevant.
- Your username is childish and doesn't reflect who you are.
- Your username is inappropriate for the job market. When looking for work, it is important to make a positive impression. Your username may be funny, but make sure it doesn't contain references to alcohol, drugs, or sex.
- You're just tired of your username.
- Good ways to come up with an appropriate username are:
- Brainstorm as much as possible. Write down at least five possible names before choosing one.
- Decide what you want to achieve with your username. Do you want to be funny or serious? Make sure you hit the right note.
- Make sure you have a backup. If the username you had in mind is already taken, it may be useful to have a second option in mind.