This wikiHow teaches you how to add emojis to a Twitter message. You can do this on your computer using Twitter's built-in emojis, or by using the emoji keyboard on your smartphone with the Twitter app on Android, iPhone, or iPad.
Method 1 of 2: Using the mobile app
Step #1. Open the Twitter app on your phone or tablet
This is the blue icon with a white bird in it. You can usually find it on the home screen or in the app drawer.
Step #2. Tap on the 'Tweet' icon
This is the blue icon with a white feather and a + sign in the lower right corner of the screen. This opens a new tweet field and keyboard.
- To reply to a tweet, tap the speech bubble icon below it.
- To add an emoji to a direct message, create or open a message, then tap the text box to open the keyboard.
Step #3. Tap the emoji button on your keyboard
The steps to do this vary by keyboard app.
- iPhone/iPad: Tap the smiley face or the globe key to the left of the spacebar at the bottom of the keyboard. If you have multiple languages installed, you may need to tap the globe key multiple times to get to the emoji keyboard.
- Android: Tap the smiley key on the keyboard. If you can't see it, hold down the spacebar, Enter, or an arrow key for a while, then tap the smiley. If that doesn't work, tap the numbers or symbols key - the smiley key may be hiding there.
Step #4. Tap an emoji to insert it
Swipe left or right to view the available emojis, then tap the emoji you want to insert.
Step 5. Tap Tweet
It's in the top right corner of the 'Tweet' field. Doing this will get your tweet posted.
- When replying to a tweet, tap To answer above your comment.
- If you're replying to a direct message, tap the "send" button (a paper airplane) to the right of the text field.
Step 6. Add an emoji to your profile
If you want to add an emoji to your name (not your username) or your profile biography on Twitter, do the following:
- Tap your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen and select Profile.
- Tap on Edit profile in the top right corner of the screen.
- To insert an emoji in the name field, tap that field and then the emoji key on the keyboard and insert the desired emoji.
- To insert an emoji into your bio, tap where you want the emoji to appear in your bio, tap the emoji button, then select an emoji.
- Tap on Save in the top right corner to save your changes.
Method 2 of 2: Using Twitter.com
Step 1. Go to https://www.twitter.com in a web browser
If you are logged into your Twitter account, your feed will load.
- If you are not already logged in, enter your Twitter username (or your email address) and password, then click To register.
Step 2. Click Tweet to create a new tweet
This is located in the top right corner of the screen. You can also create a new tweet by clicking the "What's happening?" click at the top of the page.
- To include an emoji in a response to a tweet, click the speech bubble icon below the tweet you want to respond to.
- To include an emoji in a direct message, create a new message (or click a message in your inbox).
Step 3. Click on the smiley icon
It's in the top right corner of the tweet field. This will open the emoji panel.
Step #4. Click on an emoji
Use the category icons on the side of the emoji panel to view the different types of emojis, then click on the emoji you want to insert.
- To find a particular emoji, you can type a keyword (such as "smile" or "sad") in the "Search for emoji" box.
- You can also insert an additional emoji in the same way if you wish.
Step 5. Click Tweet
This will post the tweet or comment with your emoji.
- If you included an emoji in a reply to a tweet, click instead To answer.
- If you're sending a direct message, click Send.
Step 6. Add an emoji to your Twitter profile
To add an emoji to your profile information, do the following:
- Click on the profile icon in the top right corner and select Profile.
- click on Edit profile near the top right corner of your tweets.
- Click the bio field where you want the emoji to appear, then click the emoji icon to view and select an emoji.
To add an emoji to the Name field, copy one from your bio by pressing Ctrl+X (PC) or ⌘ Command+X (Mac), then paste it into the name field by pressing Ctrl+V (PC) or ⌘ Command+V (Mac)
- click on Saving Changes in the top right corner of your profile to save it.