With the 'Lenses' feature on Snapchat, you can now swap faces with a friend to create very bizarre Snaps. You can also have Snapchat scan the photos on your device and find faces to swap with, such as your favorite celebrity or a statue.
Method 1 of 2: Face swapping live with someone
Step 1. Update Snapchat to the latest version
To take advantage of the new faceswapping features, you must be using the latest version of Snapchat. Faceswapping was introduced in version 18.104.22.168 which was released in February 2016. You can update Snapchat through your device's app store.
- On Android, you need to open Play Store, press ☰ and then press 'My Apps'. Look for Snapchat in the "Updates" section.
- On iOS, you need to open the App Store, press the "Updates" tab and search for Snapchat.
Step #2. Align your face with Snapchat's camera
Make sure you are in a well-lit room and that your entire face is visible on the screen. You can use both the front and rear camera.
Step #3. Press and hold on your face until a wireframe appears
This will open the Lenses functions, which allow you to choose from all kinds of effects to distort your face.
Lenses are only available on Android devices running 4.3+ and iPhones running iOS 7.0+. If you can't start Lenses, your device may be too old to use this feature
Step #4. Select the Face Swap Lens yellow effect
Swipe through the available Lenses until you reach the end of the selection. You will see the yellow Face Swap option at the end of the selection. It has an image of two smiley faces with arrows between them.
The purple Face Swap option allows you to swap with a photo stored on your device. See the next section for more details
Step 5. Align your faces so that the two smiley faces overlap
Hold your phone so that you and the other person are aligned with the smiley faces on the screen. They will both turn yellow when the placement is ideal and your faces will be swapped automatically.
- Any movements you make will be displayed on the simulated face. So if you open your mouth, the simulated face of your friend on your head will also open his or her mouth. You can use this to make your friend pull a face that is unusual for him or her!
- Users have reported that this also works with faces that are not lifelike, such as detailed statues. Try it out with a statue or painting nearby and see what happens!
Step 6. Take a Snap while your faces are swapped
Once your faces are swapped, you can take a Snap as you normally would. Press the circular button to take a photosnap or press and hold to record a video.
Step 7. Save and send your Snap
Now that you've taken a Snap, you can edit it, save it and send it to your friends.
- Press the Sticker, Text, and Pencil buttons to add stickers, text, and drawings to the Snap.
- Press the Send button to select people you want to send the Snap to. After selecting the recipients, the Snap will be sent.
- Press the "Add to My Story" button to add the Snap to your Story. This makes it visible to all your friends and this for 24 hours.
- If you'd like to save your new photo or video before sending it, press the Download button to save it to your device's gallery or camera roll. Saving is optional.
Method 2 of 2: Face swap with a saved photo
Step #1. Make sure Snapchat is up to date
You must be running Snapchat version 22.214.171.124 to access this new Lens. This update was released in April 2016 for both iOS and Android. You can check for updates in your device's app store.
Step 2. Make sure the photos you want to swap are both on your device
Snapchat will scan the photos on your device and find faces to swap with. You will then be able to choose from these faces when you select the Face Swap lens in Snapchat.
You can use photos taken with your camera as well as photos saved or downloaded from the internet. You can use this feature to swap your face with that of someone famous or fictional, or with a friend thousands of miles away
Step #3. Launch Snapchat and align your face
You should be in a well-lit area and your entire face should be within the frame.
Step #4. Press and hold on your face
The edges of a wireframe will appear after a while and the different Lenses will be visible at the bottom of the screen. Make sure to keep your device steady while pressing on your face.
Lenses may not work on older devices. If the wireframe does not appear and Lenses does not load, your device may be too old to use this feature
Step 5. Select the purple Face Swap Lens effect
Scroll all the way to the end of the selection. You will see the purple Face Swap option with an image of a camera and a smiley face.
Step 6. Allow Snapchat to access your photos when prompted
You may be asked to allow the Snapchat app to access the photos on your device. This is necessary for the filter to work. Press 'OK' or 'Allow' to allow Snapchat to scan your saved photos.
Step 7. Select the face you want to swap with
You will see all the faces Snapchat was able to detect in the photos stored on your device. Selecting a face will immediately apply it to your face. You cannot search the photos on your device. Snapchat scans your photos for useful faces.
- Since you can use any photo stored on your device, this feature allows for very creative face swapping. You can even use pictures of animated characters, as long as they're detailed enough to be recognized as faces by Snapchat. In many video games these days, the faces are incredibly realistic, allowing Snapchat to recognize these faces in screenshots stored on your device.
- You can download a photo of your favorite celebrity and easily switch faces with this effect. Try to find photos that show the person's full face.
Step 8. Take a Snap with the selected face
Once you've selected a face to use, you can record a Snap as normal. Press the circular button to take a photo snap or press and hold to record a video snap. You can move your face and the swapped face will change the same way.
Step 9. Save and send a Snap
After you take the Snap, you can edit it and send it to your friends.
- If you really love the Snap you created with the swapped face, you can save it to your device before sending it so the Snap isn't lost. Press the Download button to save the Snap.
- Press the Sticker, Text and Pencil buttons to add stickers, text and drawings to your photo or video snaps.
- Tap the "Add to My Story" button to add the Snap to your Snapchat Story. This makes it visible to all your friends and this for 24 hours.
- Press the Send button to select friends you want to send the Snap to.