Instagram is an app for iOS, Android and Windows Phone that allows users to upload and share photos with other Instagram users or on other social networks. To increase your presence on Instagram, it is extremely important that you get more followers. However, it can be difficult to know where to start. Go to Step 1 below for tips on taking good photos, engaging with the community, and other ways to get more followers.
Part 1 of 4: Joining the community
Step 1. Follow similar accounts
Instagram is a community and you will find that you gain followers if you join that community. This means you are communicating with others instead of just uploading photos. Find people who post interesting photos and follow their accounts. This way you can see their latest photos in your News Feed.
Don't just follow every account you see, or your news feed will become too full and you won't be able to keep up with all the new content. Therefore, only follow those accounts that you find most interesting
Step 2. Like photos and post comments
Once you've started following some people, take the time to like and comment on their photos. Not only does this make the other person feel good, but other people may see your name or comment and then view your profile. Staying active in the community can ensure a steady stream of new followers.
Step 3. Reply to comments on your own photos
Communicating with your own followers is very important if you want them to keep following you. Respond to interesting comments and thank your followers when they compliment you. If a follower asks you an interesting question, take the time to provide a detailed answer.
Step 4. Ask your followers questions
Use a photo caption to ask questions of your followers. This way you will get more reactions, so that your photo will be viewed by more people.
Think about asking your followers to do something, like "Tap twice if you find this funny" or "Share your story in a comment." This way you can communicate with the community based on your photos
Step 5. Link your Facebook account to Instagram
Instagram is now off Facebook and you're missing out on a ton of potential followers if you don't link your accounts together. All the photos and videos you post on Instagram will also be shared on Facebook, reaching twice as many people.
You can link your accounts together in the "Settings" menu on Instagram
Step 6. Write a bio
Your Instagram bio is often overlooked, but it is a very important part of your account. Let people know who you are and why they should follow you. Also add some hashtags that match your content.
Your bio is also a good place to ask people to follow you, comment, or like content you've posted
Part 2 of 4: Using hashtags
Step 1. Research popular hashtags that match the content you're posting
Hashtags are words and short phrases that describe and categorize a photo. Hashtags help people search for your photo and can add your photo to current trends. Using hashtags is very important if you want to reach a wider audience.
- Instagram is a good tool to find out what the most popular hashtags are right now.
- The most popular hashtags on Instagram are almost always "#love," "#me," and "#follow."
Step 2. Add some hashtags to each image
Add some of the most appropriate hashtags you can find to your image. Try to limit the number of hashtags to a maximum of three. If you use too many hashtags, your followers will feel that your images are too spammy.
Step 3. Create your own hashtag
If you have a decent number of followers, you can try coming up with your own hashtags. This could be the name of your business or a catchphrase that applies to many of your photos. This gives your Instagram account its own unique look, so that you are present in the community in a clear, coherent way.
Step 4. Use geotags for your photos
Instagram users are interested in photos taken in places familiar to them. Also, if you geotag your photos, Instagram will show other photos taken at that location.
Other users posting photos from the same location may see your photos and get to your account. Your account will be viewed by more people this way, including possible new local followers
Step 5. Use so-called "like for like" hashtags
If you want to try and get more likes, you can use some of the popular hashtags to exchange likes, such as "#like4like" or "#like4likes." Just make sure that you actually like someone's photo if the other person has also liked you.
- Some people see this as a dirty trick and you may lose some followers if you use these tags too often.
- This method can get you new followers, but be aware that people might just follow you to try and get more likes for their own photos rather than being genuinely interested.
Part 3 of 4: Publishing memorable content
Step 1. Take unique and interesting photos
While this may seem obvious, one of the best ways to gain followers on Instagram is to simply take good photos. Instagram is flooded with pictures of meals and cats, so set yourself apart by posting good ones.
- Try to take photos that fit your target audience. If your target audience is attracted to the photos you take, they are more likely to follow you.
- A good photo doesn't have to be a "perfect" photo. Good photos convey a sense of humanity and mistakes enhance that feeling.
- Limit the number of selfies you post. Everyone likes to take a selfie every now and then, but you shouldn't let these photos dominate. Most followers don't want to see you, but the photos you've taken. Constantly posting selfies can make you appear narcissistic and lose followers. The exception to this is -- sad as it is -- when you're attractive. You can gain a lot of followers by posting attractive photos of yourself. Even then, don't let these photos dominate.
Step 2. Use filters
Instagram has become popular thanks to its filter options. These filters will adjust the color of your photo, making it look more realistic. Instagram has several filters you can use, so don't be afraid to try different ones until you find one that fits your photo well.
- Don't use the same filters over and over, or your photos will look too similar.
- If your photo without a filter is already striking enough, use the popular hashtag #nofilter.
Step #3. Add a caption to each photo
A good caption can turn a decent photo into a great one. A caption helps grab viewers' attention and if you can make them laugh or put a smile on their face, you will gain and retain more followers. Jokes or sweet captions are especially popular.
Step 4. Use apps to give you more options to edit your photos
Instagram allows you to edit your photos to some extent, but there are several apps for both iOS and Android that give you a lot of extra options. Use these apps to brighten or darken your photos, crop them, add text and effects, and much more.
Popular photo editing apps include Aviary's Photo Editor, Afterlight, Bokehful, and Overgram
Step 5. Create collages
A great way to show your progress or a collection of images is to create a collage to post on Instagram. There are several apps that let you do this, including PicStitch, InstaCollage, and InstaPicFrame.
Step 6. Post your photos at the right time
Instagram is a very popular service and chances are your followers' news feeds are constantly being updated. If you want as many people as possible to see your photos, you need to post them at the right time. The best time to post photos is when it's morning for your followers and after the end of a normal work day.
Photos typically stay in someone's News Feed for about 4 hours on Instagram. So don't post photos at night or your followers will probably never see them
Step 7. Post new photos regularly
Don't put all your photos in your News Feed at once. If you have several photos you want to share, spread them out over a few days. Chances are that your followers will skip photos if you post too many photos at once. On the other hand, if you don't post new photos often enough, it will be difficult for you to maintain followers and attract new followers.
Part 4 of 4: Buying followers
Step 1. Find a good seller
There are many websites that offer followers for a fee. If you desperately need more followers, buying them can help get your Instagram account off the ground.
Be sure to read reviews of the different providers before choosing one
Step 2. Decide how many followers you would like to buy
Most providers let you choose between different packages, ranging from 100 to 1 million followers. Choose the package that best suits your needs and budget.
Step 3. Make your account public
You cannot buy followers if you have made your account private. So make sure you have set your account as public. You can change your settings from your profile page by tapping "Edit Profile."
Step 4. Understand the downsides
Buying followers can quickly increase your followers, but there are some drawbacks. Chances are, these followers never interact with you and leave comments, leaving your photos blank. People will also notice when you have a lot of followers but there is no activity. This can cause you to lose followers.
- Follow so-called shoutout accounts on Instagram to get more followers. These accounts generally recommend your account to others if you follow them or like one of their photos.
- Use special hashtags to get more likes. You can download an app on your iPhone or Android device that will show you a list of hashtags that you can use on your photos to get more likes.
- Whoever likes one of your photos or leaves a comment, always make sure to check out their profile, like one of their photos or leave a nice comment leaves behind. Doing this increases the chance that the other person will follow you or give more likes to other photos.
- Don't post a bunch of photos at once with random hashtags.