In this article, you'll learn how to change your Instagram password if you've forgotten it. This can be done on your smartphone or tablet as well as on your computer. If you still have access to the email address or phone number you provided when creating your account, you can reset your password from the Instagram login screen on an Android smartphone or tablet, on an iPhone or iPad, or by go to the Instagram website (Instagram.com). If your account is linked to Facebook, you can always log in to Instagram by choosing the option on the login screen where you can log in via Facebook.
Method 1 of 3: On a smartphone or tablet with Android
Step 1. Open Instagram on your smartphone or tablet
You can recognize Instagram by the icon in the overlapping colors of purple, red and orange with a square, white camera on it in your app drawer. This will open the login screen.
- If you want to change your password while already logged in, tap your profile icon at the bottom of the screen, tap the menu at the top right and go to Institutions > Privacy and Security > password > to create a new password.
If you can't remember your current password, tap Reset with Facebook (if you see that option), or on Forgot your password?
to continue with this method.
Step #2. Tap Get help signing in
This option is below the fields you need to fill in to log in.
- You may be the first to login must tap.
Step 3. Enter your username, your phone number or your email address
If you're entering an email address or phone number, make sure it's the number or address you registered when you created your account.
- In order to change your password through this process, you must have access to this email address or phone number.
- If your Instagram account is linked to Facebook, tap Login with Facebook at the bottom of the screen and sign in using your Facebook account. If you can't remember your Facebook account credentials, go to Change your Facebook password on an Android device.
Step #4. Tap on the blue Next button
One of the following options will then happen:
- Once you have entered your email address, a confirmation link will be sent to that address.
- If you have provided a phone number, a text message with a confirmation link or code will be sent to that number.
- If you have entered a username, you will be given the option to choose a method to receive the confirmation code. The ways may vary depending on how you created your account. Tap on send text message to receive the code on your smartphone, or Send an email to receive the code via email.
Step 5. Tap OK to confirm
This button is at the bottom of the previously opened window.
Step 6. Open the email or text message that Instagram sent youIn the message you will find a link that starts with
- If you haven't received the email from Instagram after waiting a few minutes, check your folder with spam, Social, or Updates.
Step 7. Tap on the link provided to reset your password
You will then be taken to a page where you can enter a new password for your account.
- If you received a text message with a code instead of a link, enter that code in the blank field on the Instagram page and tap Next one to confirm it.
Step 8. Enter your new password twice
You must enter the new password in both the fields you see on this page.
Step 9. Tap Reset Password
This button is at the bottom of the page. Now that you've changed your password, you can sign in to Instagram.
Method 2 of 3: On an iPhone or iPad
Step 1. Open Instagram on your smartphone or tablet
You can recognize the app by the icon in the overlapping colors of purple, red and orange with a white, square camera on your home screen. This is how you open the Instagram login screen.
- If you want to change your password while already logged in, tap the profile icon at the bottom of the screen, tap the menu at the top right and select Institutions. Then go to Security > password to create your new password.
If you can't remember your existing password, log out and continue with this method
Step 2. Tap Forgot Password?
It's a blue link below the login fields.
- You may have a blue button that reads login must tap to open the login screen.
- If your Instagram account is linked to your Facebook account, tap the Facebook link to log in. If you can't remember your Facebook password, go to
Step 3. Choose an option to reset your password
In order to change your password, you must either open a link to reset your password or confirm a code that will be sent to your email address or phone number. To receive the code or link, do the following:
- Using your username: Tap User name, enter your Instagram username and tap Next one. Select the partially hidden email address or phone number and tap Send link to login.
- Using your email address: Tap User name and then enter your email address in the appropriate field. Tap on Next one to receive a link with which you can log in.
- Using your phone number: Tap Telephone, enter your mobile phone number and tap Next one. This ensures that a text message with a confirmation code is sent to your mobile phone.
Step #4. Tap the Reset Instagram password link in the email (only if you used email)
If you're using a phone number, skip the next step. If you got an email from Instagram, tap the link (not on the blue button that says 'Log in') to open the fields where you can change your password.
Step 5. Enter the confirmation code from the text message and tap Next (for the phone option only)
If you received an email with a link, skip this step. Once you've entered the code you received in the text message, you should see the fields that you can use to reset your password.
Step 6. Enter your new password twice
You must enter it in both the fields you see on this page.
Step 7. Tap on Reset Password
This button is at the bottom of the page. Now that you've changed your password, you can log in to Instagram with your new credentials.
Method 3 of 3: Using a web browser
Step 1. Go to https://www.instagram.com in a web browser of your choice
This is how you open the Instagram login page.
- If you see your own news feed instead of a login page, then you are already logged in to Instagram. Click on your profile picture in the top right corner and then click on the gear icon at the top of your profile page. To change your password, do the following:
- If you remember your current password and want to change it, enter your old password, then type in a new password and confirm it. Press the button Saving Changes to save the changes.
If you have forgotten your password, click on Forgot your password?
at the bottom of the form and continue with this method.
Step 2. Click Forgot Password?
You can find this option under the login options at the top right of the page.
- If you created your Instagram account using the credentials you use for Facebook, click Login with Facebook and log in via your Facebook account. If you can't remember your Facebook password, go to:
Step 3. Enter the email address, phone number, or username associated with your account
With one of these details you can have Instagram send a confirmation link to your email address or to your phone numbers.
Step 4. Click the Send Login Link button
It's a blue button at the bottom of the form. A code will then be sent to the email address or telephone number you registered with which you can change your password.
If the email address or phone number you provided is not found, you may have used different information when creating your account
Step 5. Open the email or text message you got from InstagramThe In the message you will find a link that starts with
- If you haven't received the email from Instagram after a few minutes, see if it might be in the folder spam, Social, or Updates stands.
Step 6. Click or tap the link to recover your password
This will take you to the website where you can enter a new password for your account.
Step 7. Type in your password twice
You have to enter it in the two text fields you see on this page.
Step 8. Click or tap Reset password
This option is at the bottom of the page. If the two passwords you enter are exactly the same, you will be able to access your Instagram account using your new password.