You've had the same profile picture on Facebook for ages and it's high time for an update. First, you'll have to pick the perfect photo that shows exactly who you are. Next, you'll have to figure out how to put the photo on Facebook. Follow this easy step-by-step plan to learn how to select and upload the perfect photo.
Part 1 of 3: Uploading a profile picture on the Facebook website
Step 1. Go to Facebook
You can visit this website with any browser.
Step 2. Log in
Use your Facebook account and password to log in. You can do this at the top right of the page. Click on “Sign Up” to continue.
Step 3. Go to your timeline
Click on your name in the header to go to your timeline. Your current profile picture will now be displayed at the top left of the page.
Step 4. Open the Update Profile Picture screen
Move your mouse over your current profile picture and click on “Update profile picture”. A screen will now appear where you can adjust your profile picture.
Step 5. Decide whether you want to set one of your current photos as your profile picture, take a picture or upload a picture
- If you want to choose from your current Facebook photos, you can click this option and scroll through your photos to pick out the best ones.
- If you want to take a picture, you can click on the camera icon, then click on "take picture" and "set it as profile picture".
- If you want to upload a photo, you can click on “Upload photo” at the top of the screen. You can then select a new photo on your computer. Click on the photo you want to use. The selected photo is then uploaded to Facebook.
Step 6. Crop, Resize and Modify
Once the photo has been uploaded, a screen will appear where you can edit the photo. Here you can select a part of the photo and adjust the thumbnail image that appears on your profile page. Click on “Save” to post your new profile picture.
- Resize - Use the slider below the photo to zoom in or out. This allows you to customize the portion of the photo that appears on your profile page.
- Reposition - Lines appear on the photo that allow you to control which part of the photo appears on your profile page. Click and slide these lines to select a part of the photo.
- Skip Editing - If you like your profile picture as it is, you can click “Skip Editing” at the bottom left of the screen.
Step 7. View your new profile picture
Go back to your timeline or another Facebook page to see what your new profile picture looks like. The photo is also automatically added to the “Profile Photos” folder.
Part 2 of 3: Uploading a profile picture via the Facebook app
Step #1. Open Facebook
Find the Facebook app on your phone and press the icon.
Step 2. Go to your timeline
Tap your name in the header to go to your timeline. Your current profile picture is at the top of the screen.
Step 3. Upload a new photo
Tap your current profile picture. A small menu will now appear. Click here on “Upload photo”. Now your phone's photo album will appear.
Tap the folder where the photo you want to use is stored. Scroll through your photos and tap the one you want to use
Step 4. Update the size and thumbnail image
Once the photo has been uploaded, a screen will appear where you can update the photo. Here you can resize the photo and select the part of the photo that will appear on your profile picture. Use your fingers to adjust the photo.
Press “Done” to save your new profile picture
Step 5. View the new profile picture
Go back to your timeline or another page on Facebook. You will now see that your profile picture has been updated. The photo will also be added to the “Profile Photos” album on Facebook.
Part 3 of 3: Choosing the perfect photo
Step 1. Decide how you want to appear on Facebook
Before you start scrolling through your photos, you'd better decide how you want to appear on Facebook. Do you want to appear sexy, mature, professional, fun, sporty or just crazy?
- Sexy and provocative are two completely different things. Don't make your photo too explicit to avoid people getting the wrong impression of you.
- You can look professional and at the same time smile and show that you are fun.
- Sporty photos can be a great way to show off your skills. Be careful not to choose a photo that is too sweaty or tired, unless you are very proud of a certain sporting achievement.
- You can choose a photo where you are together with a close friend or family member. However, make sure that it is clear which person in the photo you are.
- If you want to tell the whole world how crazy you are about your boyfriend or girlfriend, you can choose a photo together. Be careful with sticky photos so as not to irritate people.
Step 2. Search your photos
Scroll through your photos to see which photo is most suitable as a profile photo. You can search in the following places:
- Your photos on Facebook. Maybe one of your older photos is suitable as a profile picture or is suitable for nostalgic reasons.
For example, in December, you could use an old photo of yourself in a Christmas sweater
- Take a look at old photo albums to give your profile picture a nostalgic twist. You'll hardly believe it, but people used to put their photos in albums instead of posting them straight to Facebook!
On Mother's or Father's Day you can post a profile picture with one of your parents. These types of photos are often very popular on Facebook and get a lot of "likes"
- View photos of your friends. Good friends may have taken nice pictures of you that you can use as a profile picture.
Step 3. Choose the best photo
Once you've found a photo that fits the way you want to appear on Facebook, you're almost ready to upload it.
- Sometimes you can deviate from your original plan and still choose a different kind of photo than you originally intended. There is no reason not to do this. Just pick the photo you like the most.
- Don't think about it too much. Keep in mind that you can easily edit your photo anytime you want.
Step 4. Take a new photo if you can't find suitable photos
If you don't like the existing pictures of yourself enough, you can always take a new picture of yourself.
- Ask a friend or roommate to take a picture of you.
- You can try to take a selfie, but make sure that you are in the picture well.
- You can also take a photo with a webcam or phone, but if you use a camera, your photos will be of better quality.
Step 5. Ask someone for help
Once you've found or captured the perfect photo, you can ask a friend what he thinks of the photo. Don't be afraid of the truth.
- Ask your friend how you come across in the photo and check if it matches what you have in mind. If you think the photo is grown-up, but your friends think it's childish, you may want to choose a different photo.
- Not everyone has to like the photo. Your mom may think you need to present yourself in a different way online. Make sure the photo isn't so extreme or provocative that your parents are ashamed of you.
- If you want your Facebook friends to see the photo right away, don't post it too early or too late in the day. Rather choose a time when many people are on Facebook.
- If you're new to a relationship, don't post a picture of the two of you right away. That can lead to embarrassing situations if the relationship quickly ends. Also, posting pictures with your new love can be hurtful to any exes.