A power bank is useful if you need power in places where no power is available. With a power bank you can still charge your phone or keep your laptop running. However, the power bank itself must be charged. Fortunately, this is not too complicated and the device is easy to power!
Step 1. Connect the cable to the mini USB connector of the device
A power bank normally has two connections: a USB and a mini-USB connection. Connect the cable to the mini USB connector on your power bank and plug the other end of the cable into a USB adapter or your laptop to charge the device.
- The mini USB connection is generally used to charge the power bank.
- The USB connection is used as an output and power source for your electronics.
Step 2. Connect the other end of the cable to a power source
There are two ways to do this: by using a USB adapter and plugging it into a wall outlet, or by using the USB port on a laptop or desktop computer.
- If you use a USB adapter, you can simply plug it into the wall socket to charge your power bank.
- If you plug the cable into a laptop or desktop computer, the power bank will only be charged when the relevant device is turned on. The laptop or computer will therefore have to be switched on to provide the power bank with energy.
Step 3. Charge the power bank
Once the power bank is connected to a power source, a light should light up somewhere on the device. A red, yellow, or orange light means the device is charging. Once the power bank is fully charged, the light will change color to green or blue. It may take a few hours for your power bank to be fully charged.
- On average, it takes two to four hours to charge a power bank when it is connected to a wall outlet via a USB adapter. When connected to a laptop or desktop computer, charging takes about eight hours.
- A power bank's light is often blue or green when it's in use, orange or yellow when it's charging, and red when it's low.
Step 4. Charge your device
When the power bank is fully charged, you can use it to charge a device such as a mobile phone. You can use the same cable for this as when charging the power bank. However, instead of the mini USB connection, you now use the USB output of the power bank and plug the other end of the cable into your phone. Then turn on the power bank and voilà: your phone is being charged!