Amazon is one of the largest online shopping websites and offers a wide range of books, electronics, furniture and clothing - as well as all kinds of other things. You don't need to register to browse Amazon, but if you want to buy or sell products (or create a profile with wish lists and personal recommendations), you'll need to create an account. Fortunately, this only takes a few minutes.
Part 1 of 2: Creating an account
Step 1. Get started
Go to amazon.nl. At the top right of the screen you will see a menu with a button that says "Your account". If you hover over it, a drop-down menu will appear. Click on “Start Here” directly below the yellow “Sign Up” button.
Step 2. Fill in your personal details
On the registration form you have to fill in your name and email address and choose a password.
You can also enter a phone number here. This is not mandatory, but can be useful to optimally secure your account. Amazon won't call you, so don't worry about that – your phone number will be used purely for security reasons
Step 3. Create your account
When you have entered all the necessary information, you can click on “Create account”. You will now be immediately redirected to the Amazon welcome page. Congratulations! You now officially have an account on Amazon.
Part 2 of 2: Personalizing your account
Step 1. Adjust your payment details
Once you have created an account, you can indicate your preferred payment method. To do this, click on “Your account” at the top right of the screen. Under “Payment methods” you can now click on “Add a credit card”. Fill in the necessary information, including your billing address.
Once you have done this, you can confirm the details by clicking on “Manage payment options”. You should see your credit card details here
Step 2. Add a shipping address
Click again on “Your account” and scroll to the heading “Account settings”. Click on “Add new address”. Enter your password and then enter your address on the form. Click on “Save and Continue”. You are now ready to shop on Amazon!
Step 3. Create an address book
Many people use Amazon's address book to enhance their shopping experience. Go to “Your Account” and click on “Manage Address Book”. You can now enter multiple addresses, both for yourself and for people for whom you want to buy gifts, for example.
If you mark an address as a “Gift Address”, Amazon will automatically include a receipt with gifts sent to this address
Step 4. Personalize your profile
Go to “Your Account” again and click on “Your Public Profile” under the heading “Personal Settings”. You will now be asked to enter information that will be displayed on your public profile (name, location, birthday, website, photo). Once you are done, check the box for “I have read the terms and conditions” and then click continue. You will now be asked for more information. Press “Done” to complete your personal profile.
- If you care deeply about your privacy, you should be careful about the information you add to your public profile. For example, you can only enter your first name and add a general location.
- Do not use more than 4000 characters to personalize your personal profile. That is the maximum number that Amazon allows.
Step 5. Connect your account to social networks
Go to “Your account” and click on “Social networks” under the heading “Personal settings”. You will now be redirected to a screen where you can link your Amazon account to, for example, Facebook. You can do the same with Twitter.
By linking your account to Facebook and Twitter, you can share the products you've bought or liked with your friends
Step 6. Create a wish list
To create your own wish list, you can go to “Your Account” and then click on “Wish Lists”. If you are shopping on Amazon right now, you can add products to your wishlist by clicking the “Add to Wishlist” button.
- If you want to name your wish list (the default name for a new wish list is “New wish list”), you can do this by clicking “Edit wish list”.
- By making a list public, your friends and family can see what you want. This way you can be sure that from now on you will receive gifts that you actually like.
- You can create a wish list for your wedding by clicking on “Wedding wish list” instead of “Wish List”. You can then enter information about yourself, your partner and your wedding date. Once you've done this, you can add products to the list that wedding guests can then purchase for you.
If you use Amazon regularly, consider joining Amazon Prime. You pay an annual fee for this, but in return you get faster shipping and access to a streaming service with all kinds of movies and TV shows
- Once you start buying and reviewing products, Amazon will give you personalized advice. Click on “Recommendations for You” to view the products Amazon recommends.
- Don't forget to check Amazon's offers every now and then. You can usually find this at the top right of the homepage. With a bit of luck there will be something you like!