Minecraft PE is a fun game on your own, but takes on a whole new dimension when you play it online with other people. Both the Android and iOS versions allow you to play online for free, without the need to install any apps or crack your device. If you've been invited to play on Minecraft Realms, you can quickly join the server from the main menu.
Method 1 of 2: Connecting to the servers
Step 1. Update Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE) to the latest version
You will only be able to connect to servers running the same version of the game you have. Most servers update to the most recent versions as they come out.
- You can update Minecraft PE through your device's App Store. Check wikiHow for articles on updating Minecraft PE on Android and iOS.
- You can play online on an Android or iOS without jailbreaking as long as you have updated to the latest version.
Step 2. Open the web browser on your device or on a computer
Unless you're invited to join the Realms Alpha (see the next section), Minecraft PE does not have an in-game server menu. This means that you will have to track down a number of servers online and copy the information manually.
Step 3. Search for "Minecraft PE servers"
There are many different websites with lists of more active servers that you can try joining. Some of the more popular sites on those lists are:
- Listforge - minecraftpocket-servers.com
- MCPEStats - mcpestats.com
- MCPE Hub - mcpehub.com/servers
- MCPE Universe - mcpeuniverse.com/pocketmine/
Step 4. Find a server that looks interesting
Most servers run a number of different custom game mods, and most server listings will provide a quick overview of the mods each server uses. There is nothing special to install on your end.
Step 5. Look at the number of players
Servers accept a maximum number of players, and most server lists should tell you how many are on each server. It will be difficult to get into a server that is full, as you will have to keep trying to connect until a space is freed up.
Step 6. Write down the "IP Address" and the "Port" of the server
You need both to be able to connect. The IP address can be a string of numbers (such as 188.8.131.52) a string of words and numbers (such as myserver.server.com). The port is the string of numbers after the:, and is usually 5 digits long.
Instead of writing them down, you can also leave the window open as a mnemonic while entering the data into Minecraft PE
Step 7. Launch Minecraft PE
You don't need to download additional apps that claim to add multiplayer support to Minecraft PE.
Step 8. Tap "Play"
This will show a list of your current worlds in Minecraft PE.
Step 9. Tap on "Edit"
You'll find the Edit button in the top right corner.
Step 10. Tap on the "External" button
It will appear at the top after you tap "Edit".
Step 11. Type the server information in the appropriate boxes
Type the IP address and port number for the server you want to connect to. You can enter anything you want in the "Server Name" field. Tap "Add Server" after entering the information.
Step 12. Tap the newly added server in your list to try to join it
Minecraft PE will try to contact the server and load the world.
- If it is not possible to connect to the server, there are a number of different options. The server may be full (no full server error will be displayed), be offline, the username is already in use, or your device is not connected to the internet. Make sure you enter the server information correctly.
- You can change your username in the Minecraft PE Settings menu, which you can access from the main menu.
- See wikiHow for instructions on restoring your device's Internet connection.
Step 13. Follow the directions you get to register
Some of the more popular servers have built-in registration tools that allow you to protect your username and get additional benefits. This procedure varies, but you will usually have to type certain commands into the chat box. Instructions will be shown on the screen when you connect for the first time.
- You can open the chat box by tapping the speech bubble in the top right corner.
- Registering usually requires you to enter an email address and create a password, which you enter every time you want to join the server.
Method 2 of 2: Using Minecraft Realms (invitation only)
Step 1. Get an invite to join someone's Realm
Minecraft Realms are official servers for Minecraft PE that players can run, but the program is still in development phase. Therefore, only a select few people will be able to run Realms as part of the testing process. In order to connect to one of these Realms, you will need to receive a direct invitation from someone who has one running.
You may be able to get an invite by befriending people within the Minecraft PE forums or by joining the community yourself
Step 2. Open the Settings menu in Minecraft PE
You can access this by tapping the Settings button in the bottom right corner of the main menu.
Step 3. Tap the "Login" button
Enter the login information you received along with the invitation to Minecraft Realms.
Step 4. Return to the main menu and tap on "Play on Realms"
This will load a list of all Realms you've been invited to.
Step 5. Tap on the Realm you want to join
Realms are currently limited to 10 players, so if the Realm is full, you won't be able to join.