In Minecraft, you can grow wheat by sowing wheat seeds, which you can get from long grass. Wheat allows you to attract and breed cows, sheep and mooshrooms. Wheat can also heal horses, help tame these animals and make foals grow faster. To grow wheat you must first turn a piece of land into farmland with water, then plant wheat seeds and then harvest your wheat after it is fully grown.
Step 1. Go to a piece of wetland land
Wetland contains one or more blue colored blocks.
Step 2. Check if your character owns a hoe
With a hoe you can turn a piece of land into farmland. You can use a diamond hoe, a gold hoe, a stone hoe, a wooden hoe, or an iron hoe.
Make a hoe with two sticks and two pieces of a specific material, such as cobblestones, wooden planks, diamonds or iron/gold bars
Step 3. Select your hoe in the hot bar and then move your cursor to a block directly adjacent to the water
The block will be selected.
Step 4. Use your hoe to break up the soil on your block
This is how you prepare the plot of land to grow wheat on. The instructions for hoeing your land differ depending on which game console you use. After your land has been hoeed it will turn brown.
- PC: Right click on the land block.
- PE: Tap the block of land.
- Xbox 360/Xbox One: Press the left action button (LT button).
- PS3/PS4: Press the L2 button.
Step 5. Check if your character has wheat seeds
The wheat seeds must be planted in the fresh soil.
- Move to tall, tall grass near your farmland. Long grass can be broken and gathered to make wheat.
- Left click on the long grass and then walk to the seeds. The grass will be broken and the wheat seeds will automatically be added to your own inventory.
Step 6. Select your wheat seeds via the hot bar and then plant them in the soil you have prepared
The instructions for planting seeds are identical to those for hoeing soil as described in step #4. After you plant the seeds, your wheat will begin to grow automatically. The wheat cannot be harvested until the plants are fully grown.
Step 7. Wait until the wheat is fully grown
This can take minutes, hours or days depending on your game progress in Minecraft. After the wheat is fully grown, you can harvest it and add the food to your inventory. You can also use bone meal as a fertilizer to increase the growth rate of the wheat. You can make bone meal from a single bone.
- Check if your character is carrying bone meal. Bone meal can be made in a three-by-three crafting grid by placing a bone in the central square of the grid.
- Select the bone meal from your hot bar and sprinkle it over your wheat. The instructions for using bone meal are identical to those for hoeing soil as described in step #4. Once you are done with this, your wheat will be fully grown and ready to be harvested.
Step 8. Harvest your wheat by breaking the wheat plants to gain access to the wheat inside
The wheat harvesting instructions differ depending on which game console you are using. After you harvest your wheat, the wheat will float above the ground.
- PC: Place the cursor on the wheat and then hold down the left mouse button.
- PE: Tap and hold your finger on the screen and the wheat.
- Xbox 360/Xbox One: Place the cursor on the wheat and press the right action button (RT button).
- PS3/PS4: Place the cursor on the wheat and press the R2 button.
Step 9. Walk over the wheat no more than a few seconds after the wheat has fallen to the ground
This will add the wheat to the hot bar in your own inventory.