Playing Minecraft with your friends can be infinitely more fun than playing alone, but setting up and connecting to a server can be tricky. Playing on other people's servers is also not always a good solution, because then you have no control over the experience. Fortunately, the free Hamachi program lets you quickly create a Minecraft server that only you and your friends can access. Quickly skip to step 1 to learn how to do that.
Part 1 of 3: Installing Hamachi
Step 1. Download the free program "LogMeIn Hamachi"
The program may be hard to find on Hamachi's website, as they'd rather you sign up and download a demo of the professional package. To find the free program, go to the LogMeIn website and select "LogMeIn Hamachi" from the "Products" menu (you do need a LogMeIn account, but nothing else).
- Click the "Buy Now" button at the top of the page. Now the order page will open. In the menu in the left column, select "Download". Now you get to the "Choose a mode, any mode" page. Then click the "Download Now" button under "Unmanaged".
- Up to five people (four others) can sign up on a free Hamachi server. If you want to connect with more friends you need to buy a license for a bigger server.
Step 2. Launch the installer
It only takes a few seconds for the installer to download. You do not have to adjust the options during installation.
Step 3. Turn on Hamachi
Once the "LogMeIn Hamachi" program is open, you can press the power button in the top right corner. The website in the previous steps was in Dutch, but the program is only available in English. You will be prompted for a name for the computer on your network. Click "Create" when you're done.
Step 4. Create a network
If you are connected to Hamachi you can create your own private network. Your friends will soon be able to connect to this network before joining your server.
- Enter a name for the network and a password. Your friends need this information to connect to your network, so make a note of it.
Step 5. Click on "Create"
You will now see your network appear in the main Hamachi screen, with the number of people currently connected. You have now set up your own network.
Part 2 of 3: Starting the Minecraft server
Step 1. Download the Minecraft server files
You can download the Minecraft server program for free from the Minecraft website. Click the "Download it here" link to get to the download page. Look for the link to the server program in the "Multiplayer Server" section.
Step 2. Create your server folder
Create a folder for the server files in an easily accessible place. You can place the folder on your desktop if you wish, or elsewhere. Once you have created the folder, move the downloaded server program to this folder.
Step 3. Start the server program
After you have moved the server program to the new folder, you can start the server program to load the first files. Wait for everything to load, then stop the server and close the program. You will now see more files in the server folder, which the game created.
Step 4. Open the server properties file
There is a file called “server.properties” in the server folder. If the file doesn't open directly in a text editing program, you can right-click on it and select "Open with". Choose the Notepad program from the available options.
Step 5. Look for the line with “server ip”
This line will be located somewhere at the top of the document. Change the value to the server's IP address in your Hamachi program. Be sure to provide the full address (four groups of one to three characters). Click "File" and then "Save" when you're done.
Part 3 of 3: Connecting to the server
Step 1. Start the server
Now that you've modified the "server.properties" file, you can actually start up your Minecraft server. Run the program again and wait for everything to load. When you see the line “[INFO] Done” the server and the game are ready to play.
Step 2. Launch Minecraft
Exit the server program that is running in the background, otherwise you will not be able to connect to it. After logging in to Minecraft, click the "Multiplayer" button and then "Direct Connect".
Step 3. Type in the IP address
Type the IP address of your new Hamachi server in the text box. Click "Join Server" to join the game. You will appear in your Minecraft game shortly. You must be in the game before others can join.
Step 4. Invite your friends
Now that your server is up and running, your friends can join. They too must first install the free Hamachi program and of course Minecraft. They don't need the server files.
Step 5. Sign in to Hamachi
Your friends should log into Hamachi with the name and password you created earlier. Click on the “Join an existing network” button to enter the network information. When connected, they can join your game.
Step 6. Launch Minecraft
After connecting to Hamachi, all they need to do is launch Minecraft, click on "Multiplayer" and then select the game from the list of "local games". If the game is not visible, click on "Direct Connect" and enter the IP address of the server.
- When you're done building on the server and you are the administrator, type /save-all in the chat to save your progress, otherwise you may lose your work.
- Type /help to see a list of commands.
- If you only want to use this server for a very short time, you don't need to use the Minecraft server application. After everyone has joined the Hamachi network, launch the Minecraft client, open a world, pause the game and click "Open To LAN". Change the settings on the screen as desired.
- Become an administrator by going to Minecraft_Server.exe and typing: /op (enter name here)
- Only allow people you trust on the server.
- If necessary, you can put the server on a "Whitelist", add the usernames of the friends who play Minecraft to the file whitelist.txt.