This wikiHow teaches you how to change the name of your game character in the computer version of Minecraft. Unfortunately, you cannot change the username in Minecraft PE and console editions, as these versions use your Xbox Live or PlayStation gamer tag.
Step 1. Know the limitations
You cannot change your name if you have created your account within the last 30 days, nor can you change your name more than once in 30 days. If you change your name, you must choose a new name that has not already been chosen by someone else. Your name must be more than two characters and can only contain hyphens, letters and numbers.
Changing your in-game username does not change your profile name for the Minecraft website
Step #2. Open the Mojang site
Step 3. Click on Account
This tab is located at the top right of the page.
Step 4. Click Login
This button is located at the top right of the page.
If you are already logged in, skip this step and the next two steps
Step 5. Enter your login information
Enter your email address and password in the appropriate fields on this page.
Step 6. Click Login
This is a green button at the bottom of the page.
Step 7. Locate the section titled "Profile Name"
You'll find it near the center of the page.
Step 8. Click Customize
This is a link to the right of your current username.
Step 9. Enter a new profile name
In the text field at the top of the page, you need to enter the username you want to use.
Step 10. Click on Check Availability
This is a gray button to the right of the text field for the profile name. This checks if your username is already being used by someone else. If this is not the case, the following message will appear in green: 'username is available'.
- If the username is already in use, the message 'username is in use' will appear. If this is the case, try a different username, or spell your preferred username differently, then click again check availability click.
Step 11. Enter your password
In the text field titled "Password" at the bottom of the page, you will need to type the password you use to log into your Minecraft account.
Step 12. Click Edit Name
This button is at the bottom of the page. By clicking on this, your current username will immediately be replaced by your new username. The change should show up the next time you log into Minecraft on your Windows or Mac computer.
- After successfully changing your name, you will not be able to change your name again for the next 30 days.
- Your old username will be available for another seven days. This means that you have a week to change your new username back to the old one, if you choose to do so.
- If you change your gamer tag, it will show in your Minecraft PE and/or console edition(s). Remember that you can only change your gamer tag a handful of times, and this can cost money.
- Changing your name should have no effect on your whitelist/OP status.