In Minecraft, you can crouch or sneak, surprise enemies and move more slowly. It is very useful when building things that are hanging over something, as you cannot accidentally crawl over the edge of the structure. If you sneak your name will be hidden from other players when playing online. In addition, your footsteps make no sound in this mode.
Method 1 of 3: Windows, Mac, and Linux
Step 1. Hold
⇧ Shift pressed to crouch and sneak. You remain crouched as long as you keep the key pressed. This key is the same for all computer versions of Minecraft.
Step 2. Make squatting active
While you can't make squatting enabled with the default settings, there are a few ways to get around this issue, so you can enable squatting instead of having to hold down the appropriate key:
- Windows - Hold ⇧ Shift and then Alt. The game will freeze. Release both keys and then press Alt again. The game will resume, but now all you can do is sneak. Press ⇧ Shift to return everything to normal.
- Mac – Change the crouch command to ⇬ Caps Lock. This makes squatting something you can enable without having to hold down a key.
Method 2 of 3: Minecraft PE
Step 1. Make sure Minecraft PE is fully updated
Stealth is a relatively new addition to Minecraft PE (Version 0.12.1), so you'll need the latest updates to use it:
- Android - Open the Google Play Store and search for "Minecraft Pocket Edition". If the page has an update button, you'll need to tap it to download and install updates. If you only see a button titled 'Open', Minecraft PE already has the latest updates.
- iOS – Open the App Store and tap the Updates tab at the bottom. Find Minecraft Pocket Edition in the list of apps and tap the "Update" button. If you only see a button titled 'Open', Minecraft PE already has the latest updates.
Step #2. Double tap the ◇ button to crouch
This button is in the middle of your control keys, at the bottom left of the screen. When active, the key looks pressed. Tap it twice quickly to activate the feature.
Step #3. Double tap ◇ again to get out of stealth mode
You remain crouched as long as the button is pressed. Double tap the button again to return to normal speed.
Method 3 of 3: Versions for the console
Step 1. Press the right analog lever to crouch
If you're playing on an Xbox or PlayStation, crouch down by pressing the right lever in the controller until the lever clicks.
- If you're playing on a PlayStation Vita, you'll need to press Down on the D-pad instead of the right lever.
Step 2. Press the right lever again to get out of stealth mode
You will remain crouched until you disable stealth mode.
- On the Vita, you need to press Down again to get out of stealth mode.