Skyrim's vast forests and icy lands hide many secrets, and perhaps the greatest secret is the clandestine pack of werewolves known as the Companions. While joining this group gives you the ability to transform into a huge night creature, this power also has its drawbacks and you may eventually decide it's better to return to your natural state. There are only two ways to cure lycanthropy, the first way is by completing the Companions series of quests, and the second way is to become a Vampire Lord.
Method 1 of 2: Healing your lycanthropy through the Companions' quests
Step 1. Activate the optional quest 'Purity'
After completing the 'Glory of the Dead' quest you need to talk to Farkas or Vilkas (you can find both in their respective rooms, which in turn can be found in Jorrvaskr's basement), just like you would if you were you would need a new mission. They will come across as if something is not quite right. Be empathetic and ask what's going on.
- They will tell you that they want to make the same choice as Kodlak, which is to cure their lycanthropy. Offer your help.
- Optional quests are given to you by Vilkas or Farkas when your character asks if there is work he can do for the Companions, and most can be repeated an unlimited number of times to earn some money. However, you will not be able to get the quest 'Purity' until you have completed the last quest of the main Companions storyline.
Step 2. Find a Glenmoril witch's head
If you have a Glenmoril witch's head left in your inventory from the previous quest, they will send you to Ysgramor's Tomb (go to the next step); if not, they will offer you their assistance in getting it.
- Use fast travel to get to the Glemoril Coven. After you've completed the 'Blood's Honor' quest it should be a location that you should be able to go to via fast travel via the world map. The site is located northwest of Falkreath.
- When you enter the site of the witch gathering you will find five Glenmoril witches there. Kill them and loot their bodies to collect at least two heads (one for whoever gave you the quest, and one for you).
Step 3. Go to Ysgramor's Tomb
Travel to Ysgramor's tomb with whoever gave you the quest. You can either use fast travel or you can follow the compass marker of the quest you are currently on. Ysgramor's Tomb is located in the northernmost part of Skyrim; the area is closest to that of Winterhold, whose icon on the map looks like a 3-pointed crown on a shield.
- To reach Ysgramor's Tomb from Winterhold you need to head north and cross the water. The tomb stands on the shore of a small island.
- It takes much longer to get to Ysgramor's Tomb from Whiterun. The tomb is northeast of Whiterun. After you leave Whiterun, you must go along the northern ramparts of the village and then continue north. During the journey you will pass many mountains, but don't stop until you reach Dawnstar. After reaching Dawnstar, you must head northeast and cross the water to reach the shores of the island where the tomb is located.
Step 4. Enter the tomb
Open the doors leading to the tomb and descend the stone steps. Pass the torches until you reach the wooden spiral staircase that leads deeper into the tomb.
Descend the stairs and you will enter a large room where, in the center, a blue flame called the Flame of the Harbinger is burning
Step 5. Activate the flame
Go to the Flame of the Harbinger and activate it with the key indicated on the screen.
Step 6. Kill the Wolf Spirit
After you activate the flame, a ghost wolf will jump out of the altar and attack you. Defeat him to clear the one who gave you the quest from his lycanthropy.
- The mind behaves much like a wolf you might encounter in the wild; keep him at bay with the Fireball spell or arrows to defeat him easily.
- This wolf is not a particularly difficult foe. He is especially fast, which is why you have to keep your distance. However, if you prefer to fight with close range weapons, a few heavy blows from a battle hammer will quickly kill the wolf.
Step 7. Talk to whoever gave you the quest (Farkas or Vilkas)
After you defeat the wolf you will be told to talk to whoever gave you the quest. He will ask if it is over and tell that he now feels like a true warrior.
After talking to whoever gave you the quest, the optional quest Purity is completed
Step 8. Heal yourself of lycanthropy
Go to the flame and reactivate it by clicking the button indicated on the screen. A text box will appear with the phrase, "Cast the witch's head into the flames to cure your lycanthropy forever." Click 'Yes' (Please consider this carefully as this is a permanent decision).
- A second ghost wolf will emerge from the flame and you will have to overcome it to heal yourself. Use the same methods for killing this wolf as you used to kill the previous wolf.
- If you beat the wolf you will be cured of lycanthropy.
Method 2 of 2: Healing your lycanthropy through the Dawnguard's quest series
Step 1. Buy the Dawnguard DLC
If you haven't healed your lycanthropy in Ysgramor's Tomb, the Dawnguard DLC (which you can buy via Steam or at an (online) store that sells games) will give you three chances to get rid of your beast blood.
- The Dawnguard DLC focuses on the ancient battle between vampires and those who prey on them, forcing you to choose which side you stand on in the fight. If you side with the vampires you will be turned into a vampire lord, a much more powerful version of the typical vampires you encounter in the game.
- When you turn into a vampire lord, your body is purged of lycanthropy, as it is impossible to be a werewolf and a vampire at the same time.
Step 2. Accept Lord Harkon's offer
The first time you are given the option to become a vampire lord is during the quest "Bloodline", one of the earlier quests of the Dawnguard DLC.
- After you complete the quest Awakening, Serana will ask you to take her to Castle Volkihar, home of Skyrim's first vampires. You can reach the castle by boat: hire a ferryman to take you there or use Ice-water Jetty, which is a small harbor close to Northwatch Keep. When you board the boat you will be transported to the castle.
- Walk up the hill to the stone bridge that leads to the castle towering above you. The vampires will be suspicious of you, but they will allow you to move on once they recognize Serana.
- Enter the castle to meet Serana's father. Once Serana is reunited with her father, he will address you and give you an ultimatum: continue to work with the Dawnguard, being banned from ever visiting the castle again, or join the Volkihar vampires by becoming a vampire lord.
- Choose to become a vampire lord, after which Lord Harkon will explain that the change will clear your body of lycanthropy (note that by choosing to become a vampire lord you will become an enemy of the Dawnguard, who will then randomly will send groups of soldiers to ambush you).
Step 3. Let Serana turn you into a vampire
If you have declined Lord Harkon's offer to turn into a vampire, you will be offered another chance at a later date during the quest "Chasing Echoes", the 6th quest of the main storyline of the Dawnguard. On this quest, Serana and you must enter the Soul Cairn, a bleak dimension where lost souls are doomed to wander.
- The entrance to the Soul Cairn can be found in a secret area of Castle Volkihar, where Serana will lead you. A living person cannot enter the Soul Cairn so Serana will offer to turn you into a Vampire Lord.
- Select the 'Turn me into a vampire' option and Serana will bite you and you will lose consciousness. After a moment or two you will wake up as a vampire lord, and be healed of your lycanthropy as a result.
- If you decline the offer, your soul will be temporarily trapped in a soul gem, leaving you with much less Health, Stamina, and Magicka while in the Soul Cairn.
Step 4. Become a vampire lord after completing all the main quests of the Dawnguard DLC
After completing "Kindred Judgment," the DLC's final quest, you will be able to ask Serana to turn you into a vampire lord at any time.
- You can find Serana in Castle Volkihar. She's in the lobby. Go to her and click on the correct button to talk to her. If you haven't become a vampire lord yet, she will offer to turn you into one. Accept her offer.
- After being bitten you will become unconscious. When you regain consciousness you will have become a vampire lord and be cured of your lycanthropy.
- Note that if you instead encourage Serana to heal herself from vampirism, she will no longer be able to transform you into a vampire lord.