Super Mario 64 DS offers the unforgettable playing experience of Super Mario 64, complemented by countless extras. Unlike the original game, you can now play as four characters: Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario. To unlock Luigi, you'll first need to take a trip to Big Boo's Haunt and defeat Big Boo in his underground labyrinth!
Part 1 of 3: Finding Big Boo's maze
Step 1. Unlock Mario
To unlock Luigi, you'll need Mario first. There's no getting around this; Unfortunately you cannot unlock Luigi with Yoshi or Wario. Don't forget to play as Mario to unlock Luigi.
You need eight stars to unlock Mario. Jump into Mario's portrait in the room adjacent to the minigame room. Then defeat the Goomboss in the life you are now in. Once you've defeated him, you'll get the key to unlock Mario
Step 2. Go to Big Boo's Haunt
Go as Mario to the courtyard of the castle. From the foyer you can go through the wooden doors and then down the long hallway to get here. Once you're in the backyard, kill Boos until a Boo falls down in a metal cage. Jump against the cage to get to Big Boo's Haunt.
In order to get to Big Boo's Haunt, you must first find the first star of the level. The stairs to the second floor (where the entrance to Luigi's level is located) only appears if you have found the first star
Step 3. Go to the second floor of the house
Take the second star (or possibly the third or fourth star). When the level starts, run to the house in front of you. Look for the room that has a raised platform with a red question mark on it.
Step 4. Now go to the attic
Open the red question mark. Mario should now inflate himself like a balloon and start floating towards the ceiling. Send Mario to the opening and go through the door. To stop hovering, you can press the "R" button.
In the original version of Super Mario 64, it's pretty complicated to float up. Many people playing the game for the first time didn't get it right. In the DS version, however, this has been made a lot easier
Step 5. Jump into Luigi's portrait
In the next room, a large portrait of Luigi hangs on the wall. You probably already guess what you have to do: jump into the painting!
Part 2 of 3: Navigating the maze
Step 1. Listen at the doors if you can hear Big Boo laughing
After jumping into Luigi's portrait, you'll enter a room with a large wooden merry-go-round. You are now in Big Boo's maze! To survive this maze, it's best to listen carefully where you hear Big Boo laughing. Always take the door where you can hear Big Boo laughing the loudest!
There are eight red coins in the maze. While you don't necessarily need them, finding all eight can earn you a star
Step 2. Find your way through the maze
In each room of the maze you will have to listen carefully where Big Boo's laugh is loudest. If you make a mistake (or fall off a rock), you have to start all over again. Below you will find the route description:
- From your starting position, go through the door and then take the door on the right side of the room.
- In the next room, carefully run past the eyeball and take the door on the left side of the room.
- Jump the block with the question mark on it to collect the coins from the ceiling. Then take the door on the right side of the room.
- Use the blocks to reach the left side of the room.
- Finally, run across the collapsing bridge and use the blocks to move up the walls. Finally jump into the chimney.
Step 3. Defeat Big Boo
You will now enter a room with a large mirror. Run to the mirror and you'll see Mario's reflection turn into Luigi. Now your fight with Big Boo begins. Defeat Boo to get the key to unlock Luigi! This isn't that hard, although you'll have to keep an eye on both Mario and Luigi to win.
During the fight, Big Boo alternates between the mirror image (where Luigi is) and the real world of Mario. If he is in the mirror you will have to attack him with Luigi and in the real world you will play with Mario. Use the same strategy you've used for other Boos; kicking him and stomping on the ground will blow him away. Just be sure to avoid his fireballs
Part 3 of 3: Unlock Luigi
Step 1. Go to the character selection room
After the battle you will be given the key to unlock Luigi and you will be automatically returned to the castle garden. With your key you can finally unlock Luigi. Run back to the castle foyer and on the top floor, turn right into the character selection room.
If you know the original Super Mario 64 well, take the door that leads to the princess' slide in the game on Nintendo 64
Step 2. Go through the door with the green "L" on it
Now that you have the Luigi key, you can open his door! Put the key in the lock and Luigi comes out. Congratulations! You've unlocked Luigi in Super Mario 64 DS!
Step 3. Get to know Luigi's unique skills
Luigi has some different features than the other characters in Super Mario 64 DS. He is better in some things and worse in others. In the castle, take a moment to get used to Luigi before continuing the game. Luigi's special abilities are:
- Being able to run on water for a few seconds
- May fall spinning after a backflip (which can cause significant damage)
- Jumping as well as Yoshi and a "fluttering" effect on jumps
- Able to run just a little slower than Mario
- Being slightly less strong than the other characters (picking things up more slowly and walking slower while carrying things)
- Be the fastest swimmer in the game
- Being able to become invisible and walk through certain substances if he has eaten a flower
- You need at least 16 stars to reach Big Boo's Haunt.
- To unlock Luigi, make sure you play as Mario; he is the only character that Luigi can unlock.