It's not hard to catch Lugia in SoulSilver, even without cheating! This wikiHow teaches you how to catch Lugia in SoulSilver.
Step 1. Gather everything you need
You must have already received the Silver Bell from the Kimono Girls in Ecruteak City. You'll also need the Silver Wing and a Pokémon that knows Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall, Rock Smash (optional), and Strength.
- Whirlpool Islands are unlit, so having Flash is certainly not a luxury.
- Also very useful are Pokémon with attacks with a status effect (such as Sleep, Paralysis and Frozen).
- Make sure you have a lot of Ultra Balls with you.
- Make sure your Pokémon are at level 40 or higher.
- Bring plenty of Repels with you so you can avoid battles with Pokémon along the way.
- A strong Electric or Ice type Pokémon also has its advantages.
Step 2. Go to Cianwood City
This town is located on the most remote eastern edge of Johto.
Step #3. Go to the Pokémon Center and then north
Follow the shoreline until you reach the corner where the rock face begins.
Step 4. Use Surf to get to the Whirl Islands
Head north until you meet a wall or rocks, then head east. Pass the first swimmer and keep going east until you come across a wall or rocks a second time. Then head south until you see the whirlpool.
Step 5. Use Whirlpool to get past the whirlpool
The islands are just on the other side of the whirlpool.
Step 6. Use Surf to reach the cave entrance
You have to go around the cave and use Surf to reach the entrance on the north side.
Step 7. Find your way through the cave
Follow these steps to get through the cave:
- Use Flash to enlighten you.
- Go up and then to the right.
- Keep right until you meet a wall.
- Go up and then down the ladder.
- Go down and stay on the path until you see another ladder on the right.
- Go down the ladder, then further down and take the path on the right.
- Keep going down until you reach the old man.
Step 8. Use the Silver Wing to get past the old man
He will let you through if you have the Silver Wing.
Step 9. Go down and into the cave, inside which a giant waterfall cascades down
In the cave you can find some Rare Candy.
Step 10. Enter the cave at the bottom of the sloping path
The Kimono Girls are waiting for you inside. They will talk to you before performing a dance to summon Lugia.
The fight will take place in the cave. Once you get here, it's a good idea to save the game
Step 11. Use Surf to reach Lugia
Lugia is located in the middle of the pond.
Step 12. Catch Lugia
Use status effects like Freeze and Sleep to increase your chances of catching Lugia. Paralysis also works but increases your chances to a lesser extent than the aforementioned. Use as many Dusk Balls and Ultra Balls as you can find. If these are not available you must use Dive Balls and Net Balls.
- As far as possible, make sure you have plenty of drinks and some PP Up with you.
- Make sure you have an Escape Rope with you so you can leave the arena without having to make your way through the labyrinth again, and heal your team before entering the arena.
- Lugia can also be caught in HeartGold, but in that case is at level 70. In addition, you must first reach Pewter City.
- If you have received a Master Ball you should NOT use it for Lugia at all times. Save him for Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave instead.