BitTorrent is a software program that allows you to download a single file from many people at once. When you download a file with BitTorrent, you also upload the parts of the file that you have already downloaded to other people. The more popular the file, the more people share it and the faster you can download it. There are many different BitTorrent programs.
Method 1 of 2: Download and install a BitTorrent program
Step 1. Download a torrent program
BitTorrent is the oldest torrenting program and is still being updated. It works on both Windows and Mac OS X.
Other popular and recently updated torrent programs include uTorrent, qBittorrent, Deluge, and Vuze
Step 2. Install the torrent program on your computer
After you've downloaded the torrent program you want to use, open the installation file and follow the installation instructions to install it on your computer.
Method 2 of 2: Find and download a game using a BitTorrent client
Step 1. Use a search engine to find a torrent file for the game you want to download
To use a torrent program you need a torrent file. You can use a search engine to search for specific file types. Type on Google filetype:torrent and then the name of the game you want to download.
The search filetype:torrent also works on other search engines such as Bing, Yahoo! and DuckDuckGo
Step 2. Click on one of the search results
Torrent sites often have a lot of pop-up ads and advertisements that may not be suitable for children. Torrent sites are also often shut down due to copyright violations and not all links work.
- The search results link may take you to a website where you can download the torrent file or download the file directly.
- Torrent websites often list the number of seeders for each torrent file. Seeders are the people who are currently uploading parts of the torrent file.
Step 3. Open your torrent program
Step 4. Open the torrent file you downloaded
Depending on your torrent client, you can often click and drag the torrent file into the torrent window to open the file. You can also use the File menu to open the torrent file. Double clicking the torrent file also often opens the torrent file in your torrent program.
Step 5. Start downloading the file
Most torrent programs won't start downloading the file until you manually start it. Click the torrent file to select it and then click the Start Transfer button. It usually looks like a play button with an arrow.
- When the file is downloaded you can see how many people are downloading the file and how many people you are uploading it to. The more people upload or seed the file, the faster it will be downloaded.
- When the file has finished downloading, you can continue seeding the file by leaving your torrent program open.
- Game files may come in different file formats for different computers. Make sure to download the correct version of the game for your computer's operating system.
- If a game only has a few seeders, you may have to wait a long time for it to download.
- Downloading a game isn't illegal, but sharing it is. By uploading or seeding a game, you can make yourself vulnerable to a lawsuit from the copyright holder of the game you are downloading.
- If you are caught downloading games with BitTorrent, you may receive a warning letter from your ISP. In that case, it would be best to stop. If you continue, you risk losing your internet connection and also face copyright infringement charges.