The Crobat is the latest evolution of the Zubat and Golbat Pokémon species. In Pokémon Emerald, Crobat cannot be caught in the wild. You must catch either a Zubat or a Golbat and then evolve this Pokémon into Crobat. Golbat evolves into Crobat by getting Golbat's friendship level above 220.
Part 1 of 2: Evolving Golbat
Step 1. Get a Golbat
Golbat evolves into Crobat. You can catch a Golbat, or you can catch a Zubat and raise its level to 22. This will allow this Pokémon to evolve into Golbat. You can level up a Zubat to 22 by using it in battle, or by giving it Rare Candy.
- You can catch Zubats in the following locations: Altering Cave, Cave of Origin, Granite Cave, Victory Road, Meteor Falls, Seafloor Cavern, and Shoal Cave.
- You can catch Golbats in the following locations: Cave of Origin, Shoal Cave, Sky Pillar, Meteor Falls, Seafloor Cavern and Victory Road.
Step 2. Increase your Golbat's friendship level
To evolve Golbat into Crobat you need to reach a high friendship level. See the section below for details on how to increase your Golbat's friendship level.
Step 3. Find out what your friendship level is
You can check the friendship that exists between you and the Golbat by visiting the woman in the house in the lower left corner of Verdanturf Town. If you talk to the woman while Golbat is the first Pokémon on your team, she will tell you what your friendship level is. Below are the phrases you'd like to see, (Golbat will evolve at a friendship level of 220):
- 150-199 – ‘It likes you quite a lot. It seems to want to be babied a little.”
- 200-254 – ‘It seems to be very happy. It obviously likes you a whole lot.' (He seems very cheerful. He obviously loves you very much.)
- 255 – ‘It adores you. It can't possibly love you any more. I even feel happy seeing it.” (He adores you. He couldn't possibly love you more. I feel happier even just looking at him.)
Step 4. Level up Golbat after reaching 220 Friendship Points
Once you suspect that you have reached the 220 friendship points, you must level up Golbat. You can do this in battle, or by using a Rare Candy. If Golbat has 220+ Friendship, he will evolve into Crobat.
- The woman who determines your friendship level will not tell you when exactly you have reached 220. You will have to guess based on what she says and what you have done since.
- Zubats and Golbats you catch in the wild have 70 Friendships from the start.
Part 2 of 2: Raising Golbat's Friendship
Step 1. Start early with those actions that have a great positive effect on Friendship
As you get closer to 220 your Friendship will increase less quickly. The three ranks of Friendship Increase are 0-99, 100-199, and 200-255. For example, if you level up, you will gain 5 Friendship points if your Friendship is 0-99, 3 points if your Friendship is 100-199, and 2 points if your Friendship is 200+.
In this part of the article, the number of Friendship Points you get for a particular action will be displayed according to the three ranks, i.e. "(5, 3, 2)", for the purpose of leveling up
Step 2. Catch your Golbat or Zubat in a Luxury Ball
This gives him a boost of one point, which affects all Friendship-enhancing activities. The boost has no effect on negative impact actions.
Step 3. Have your Golbat hold a Soothe Bell
This gives the Golbat a boost of one point, which affects all Friendship-enhancing activities. You can get a Soothe Bell at the Slateport City Pokémon Fan Club. If you keep the Golbat in a Luxury Ball and it's holding a Soothe Bell, you get an extra two points per activity.
Step 4. Level up your Golbat
Each time you level up Golbat, you get an average Friendship boost (5, 3, 2).
Step 5. Use Golbat in important battles
If you use Golbat during Gym Leader battles, the Elite Four battle, or the Championship Battle, he will get a Friendship boost (3, 2, 1).
Step 6. Keep Golbat on your team as you explore the game
With every 256 steps you take while Golbat is on your team, you will gain one friendship point. Because of this small but easily obtained gain, try to keep your Golbat in your team at all times.
Step 7. Give your Golbat vitamins
These items give your Golbat's stats a permanent boost, which also boosts Friendship (5, 3, 2).
- HP Up
- PP Up/Max
- Weird Candy
Step 8. Give the Golbat Friendship Boosting Berries
The following items will give Golbat a big Friendship boost (10, 10, 10), but have a negative effect on his EVs:
- pine cone
Step 9. Prevent Golbat from becoming unconscious
If Golbat becomes unconscious during combat, it will cost a friend point. Try switching him when he is close to the unconsciousness. If he does lose consciousness, you'll need to have him recover at a Pokémon Center.
Step 10. Do all the healing at a Pokémon Center
By giving Golbat healing items such as Heal Powder and Energy Powder (-5, -5, -10), Energy Root (-10, -10, -15), and Revival Herb (-15, -15, -20), much Friendship will be lost. This can wipe out hours of work in minutes. Do all healing and restoring in a Pokémon Center, which has no effect on the friendship level.
Step 11. Do not trade the Golbat
Swapping the Golbat will reset his Friendship back to 70. The only reason to do this would be if your Golbat's Friendship has dropped below 70 points.
- You can't catch Crobat anywhere. The only way to get this Pokémon is to evolve its previous Pokémon form.
- A Shiny Golbat is always green.