Are you too hot all summer because you don't dare to wear shorts because of your thin legs? Do you not know how to get more shape in your calves, and how to get your thighs a bit thicker? This article will teach you how to create the illusion of fatter legs by choosing the right garments and accessories that emphasize your roundest parts.
Method 1 of 2: Clothing tips for women with thin legs
Step 1. Wear straight-leg or boot-cut pants
Because these pants are a bit wider, you give your legs more volume and structure, and you hide your thin calves. Make sure the pants fit your thighs -- if the pants are wide all over, you'll 'drown' in them, making you look thinner than you are. A straight leg or tapered pants that are not very tight around your calf can also create the illusion of more shape in your legs.
- Don't wear leggings, jeggings or super-tight skinny jeans, because that will make your legs look thinner.
- If you still want to wear leggings, for example, put leg warmers or long, thick stockings over them. Then you get a little more volume in your calves.
Step 2. Play with bold patterns and light or bright colors
Tights or trousers in a light color such as beige, light blue, light gray or a bright color such as red or yellow will give your leg more depth. Big bold prints also make your legs look fatter -- try florals, checks, or horizontal or diagonal stripes.
- Dark colors such as black or navy blue, or dark jeans, tend to flatten you, so you shouldn't wear them.
- Vertical stripes or pinstripes also make your legs look thinner, so stick to patterns that give your legs more shape.
Step 3. Choose shorts with a narrow leg opening that falls to mid-thigh
Wide leg shorts or a flared leg will make your legs look thinner because it makes it look like your legs aren't filling the pants. The middle of your thigh is probably the thickest part of your leg, so you can create the illusion that the rest of your thigh is just as thick.
Shorter shorts usually stop at the right point, namely the widest part of your thigh
Step 4. Choose skirts and dresses that fall mid-thigh or mid-calf
These lengths make them touch your leg at the widest point. If your hem falls at the widest part of your leg, it will appear as if the rest of your leg, under the skirt or dress, is the same thickness.
- Consider pairing a short skirt with large boots. This way you only see the widest part of your legs.
- The straight lines of an A-line skirt can accentuate the curves of your legs. However, don't choose a skirt that flares out too much, because then your legs will disappear in all that fabric.
- A long skirt or dress completely covers your legs, but make sure it fits well in your waist or above so you don't get lost in a dress that is too big.
Step 5. Wear boots that fit snugly around your calf
There shouldn't be too much room at the top of the boot, because then you emphasize how thin your legs are. If you can't find knee-high boots that don't make your legs look like matchsticks, get ankle boots instead. It is easier to find boots that fit well on that part of the leg.
- Casual boots, like those from Peter Pan, should be a little too loose, so it wouldn't look bad if they're a little too big around your lower leg.
- Stuff your boots with leg warmers or thick, long stockings.
Step 6. Watch out for heavy, clunky shoes
Closing around in heavy shoes will make your ankles look even more delicate. Lightweight ballerinas and sandals with straps around the ankle balance thin ankles, and can even hide them a bit.
High heels tighten your calves and emphasize your muscles
Step 7. Direct the eye elsewhere
If you feel self-conscious about your legs, you can force people to look at something other than your thin legs. Wear an embroidered shirt, bold lipstick, a beautiful necklace or huge earrings.
Method 2 of 2: Clothing tips for men with thin legs
Step 1. Wear straight leg pants
Pants that are a little tight at the thighs and then follow the shape of the calf -- but not too tight -- will look nice without drawing attention to your thin calves. Pleated pants do give some volume, but they may become strangely bulged when you sit.
- Skinny jeans or tapered pants make your legs look like matchsticks, so don't wear them.
- Wide-leg pants will hide your thin calves, but they often look a bit unkempt on men.
Step 2. Choose clothes that fit well, not too tight or oversized
While you may think you can hide your legs with bulky or loose-fitting clothing, this is how you draw attention to it. It will then look like your pants are two sizes too big, making your legs look thinner.
This also applies to accessories. A huge belt is overwhelming for your lower body. Instead, try a bold pattern on your shirt or tie to divert attention from your legs
Step 3. Wear light colors and horizontal stripes
Pinstripes are not good because they only make your legs look longer and thinner. Dark colors are slimming, so wear light jeans or light gray, beige or khaki pants instead of black ones.
Step 4. Choose a tight jacket that falls to your hip
A longer jacket makes your legs look extra long and thin, and a jacket that is too short is out of proportion and can even come across as childish.