Whether you want to pretend to be possessed for a Halloween costume, or just play a disturbing prank on your friends or family, you can easily learn to play possessed by following a few rules of behavior and personality. Your new demeanor and some makeup tricks will help you appear possessed with little effort!
Method 1 of 3: Showing sudden changes in your personality
Step 1. Be quiet, withdrawn and defensive
One of the most typical features of demonic possession is a sudden change of personality. Someone who is usually happy and sociable can become quiet and withdrawn, haunted by negativity and hostility. Be very quiet and speak only when spoken to.
- Answer in a dispassionate, monotone voice and act defensively when asked about your behavior.
- You can also impersonate people with a sarcastic voice when they say something to you. Repeat what is being said to you in a scary voice and then walk away abruptly.
Step 2. Show a lack of interest in all your hobbies
Be listless at all times, and do not visibly enjoy things. When asked for your opinion or when friends and family try to drag you into a conversation, respond with an indifferent "I don't care" and then stare into nothingness.
Step 3. Develop sudden, violent verbal outbursts
Make angry, unexpected comments during everyday conversations or during a quiet dinner. Have explosive, violent reactions to normal things. Make it seem like these comments and reactions are happening without your control.
- Look disoriented and confused after these sudden outbursts. It should pass as quickly as it started so that everyone around you feels shocked and confused.
- Project your voice loudly, with a sharp tone, and speak faster than you normally would during these verbal outbursts.
- Have twitches, as if experiencing muscle spasms.
Step 4. Keep your face blank and tired
Walk around as if you are in a dissociative state, almost as if you are sleepwalking. Look exhausted and completely depleted of energy, as if you haven't slept well and aren't eating enough.
- When someone does approach you or tries to get your attention, look at them narrowed for a moment and then return to your blank facial expression.
- Don't overdo it. You want to look exhausted and a little bored. If you're too dramatic it won't be believable.
Step 5. Leave suspicious books and photos
Place books about the occult/supernatural and drawings with strange symbols in the back where people will see them. Seen as you draw a symbol on a piece of paper over and over again, as if in a trance, until your pen goes through the paper. Then appear confused by this.
- Don't let these things happen too often; maybe once or twice. If your room is suddenly full of crystals, tarot cards and other occult stuff, it won't be as believable.
- Incidents like this will give your friends and family the idea that something very sinister is going on with you, but it won't be so over-the-top that you reveal your trick.
Step 6. Do disturbing things in public
Sit in a chair, turned to a wall, and laugh hysterically at yourself. Be seen having lively conversations with no one in dark corners. Rock back and forth catatonic while repeating something. Suddenly hiss at people when you walk past them.
- This is another thing you don't want to do too often so that it remains believable. Start with a one time incident and let it become more frequent and weirder over time.
- You also want to try not to be too dramatic with this behavior so that it doesn't get you into trouble at school or work. This takes all the fun out of the joke.
Method 2 of 3: Using makeup to look possessed
Step 1. Apply a light concealer to your face, neck and lips
Choose a concealer that is at least a few shades lighter than your natural skin tone. Make sure to apply the makeup evenly to create the right look. You can also apply white face cream or powder (the kind sold during Halloween) over the concealer to make it even lighter.
- To make your skin look more even and convincingly pale, you can also apply the concealer/white makeup to your chest, hands and other areas of bare skin.
- Apply a little clear powder to all the areas where you have applied the make-up. This will set the makeup so it lasts longer.
Step 2. Apply a matte brown eyeshadow under your eyes
Use an eyeshadow brush to apply matte brown and purple eyeshadows under your eyes to make them look hollow and deep. Add a bit of gray eyeshadow under your eyes to make the look dynamic.
- To make the look a little more extreme, you can also apply the eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eyes, the lids and in the crease of the eyes.
- Apply a tiny amount of black eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eyes, in addition to the purple, brown and gray shades, for an extremely dramatic look.
Step 3. Apply contour makeup to your cheekbones
Lightly apply some brown or gray matte eyeshadow in a straight line under your cheekbones. This will give your face a hollow, malnourished look. Blend the makeup well into the rest of your face.
- The goal here is to look very unhealthy, but not like you're using makeup to accomplish this look.
- The contour line you create should start at your hairline at the top of your cheeks, follow the cheekbones down, then stop about 2 inches from your mouth on each side.
Step 4. Color your eyes, cheeks and nose with red makeup
Apply a pink, auburn, or red lip stain or eyeshadow to your lids, the inner corners of your eyes, and your under-eyes. Apply a little bit of this red color to the tip of your nose. Use a red lip liner pencil to make your lower waterline (the inner edge of your lower lid, above your lashes) red, making you look sickly and tired.
- Well blend the red makeup on your face to make it look more natural. You don't want to make it obvious that you've applied makeup.
- After applying the red lip liner to your waterline, use a cotton swab to blend it in a bit. This will give it a more natural look.
Step 5. Define the lines of your face and make them deeper
Use a small, angled brush to apply matte brown (or gray) eyeshadow to the lines and folds of your face. Focus specifically on lines that run from the sides of your nose to the sides of your mouth and the lines that run from the corners of your mouth when you frown.
- Don't forget to darken the lines that show between your eyebrows when you draw them together, as well as the lines that show up on your forehead when you raise your eyebrows as far as possible.
- Deepening and darkening the lines on your face will leave you looking angry, tired and haggard.
- Apply the lines in such a way that the makeup does not look too dark or obvious.
Step 6. Draw veins on your cheeks and forehead
Use a small, angled brush with blue or green eyeshadow to lightly draw veins on your cheeks and forehead. For a creepy flair, wiggle your hand back and forth a bit as you draw the veins.
- If you want the color to really pop, wet the brush a bit before applying the eyeshadow.
- Blue or green gel eyeliner or cream eyeshadow also work very well for drawing the veins.
Step 7. Apply a little clear or white powder to your face
This will help make your new 'veins' look like they are under your skin, and will also help set the rest of your makeup and mattify your face.
Use a large, fluffy pouf or blush brush to apply the powder so that you get a very light, even coat
Step 8. Make your lips look dry and cracked
Purse your lips and fill in the lines with a dark eyeshadow or eye pencil. Also, apply some pink/red/maroon eyeshadow to the inner rim of your lips. This will make your lips look extra dry, and will also make the inside of your mouth look a little bloody.
Step 9. Make your hair look dirty and tousled
Spray your hair with water/hairspray and/or gel, and use your hands to work it through your hair so that your hair hangs in your face and looks dirty. Wear your hair as long and tousled as you can.
If possible, do not wash your hair for a few days. This will certainly help with the illusion
Step 10. Darken your nails and fingertips to make them look dirty
Apply some black eyeshadow under your nails and around your nail beds. Pull the eyeshadow along your fingers so that the 'dirt' is heaviest on your nails and gradually lightens the further it goes along your fingers.
Apply a little bit of russet lipstick around a few of your cuticles for a light-bloody look
Method 3 of 3: Showing physical disturbances
Step 1. Wake up screaming
Common nightmares are another sign of demonic occupation, so pretend to have them all the time. Scream unintelligibly and throw your body around so that you look confused and sweaty when someone comes to see if you're okay. Open your eyes as far as you can so it's clear that you're terrified.
- When asked about your nightmares, shake your head hysterically, as if you can't even remember to write out loud what you've seen.
- The best time to do this is between midnight and around 2 am. Other people in the house won't be fast asleep yet, so it will be easier to wake them up, and they'll be more stressed when you do.
Step 2. Practice yoga, strength and flexibility training
Possessed people can often be seen in the media as very flexible. It is also common for them to have supernatural powers. You can increase your strength and flexibility by practicing yoga, stretching and strength training.
- Fold your body contorted after you've had a 'nightmare'. Keep your face completely neutral.
- To avoid injury, stretch your muscles unobtrusively before attempting a twisted body position.
- Keep your poses simple. It will not be difficult to frighten the one who sees this.
Step 3. Act catatonic, and go for a long time without blinking
When someone tries to talk to you or make you move, stay still and keep your body rigid and your eyes unfocused. Make it difficult for others to move while you are "catatonic." Pretend you're having a blackout.
- Once you've come to your senses, act like nothing happened. Be defensive of people who want to talk about it.
- Show signs of amnesia to others, and give hints that you are wasting time.
Step 4. Practice rolling your eyes in the back of your head
Keep your head forward, then look up as far as you can with only your eyes; don't move your head. Move your eyes up until you can go no further, and lower your lids slightly to hide any remaining parts of your iris.
- Make sure not to close your eyes all the way while doing this. Practice this with the camera on your phone. Make videos and photos.
- Some people prefer to close their eyes first. Close your eyes, look at the ceiling (with your eyes closed), then open your eyes again while still looking up.
Step 5. Practice extreme facial expressions and pained expressions
Exorcists say that possessed people often contort their faces in extreme, scary ways. Their faces also show that they are in pain. Sit in front of a mirror and practice with twisted and pained faces.
- Once you've mastered a few good expressions, use them after your "nightmares" and other strange events you have planned.
- If possible, use props to intensify your poses and facial expressions.
- The classic puke scene in the movie 'The Exorcist' is very recognizable, so it would be quite hilarious to use some thick pea soup on an incident.
Step 6. Learn a new language or some Latin phrases
In horror movies, possessed people often speak Latin, but any foreign language is likely to startle your family and friends when you suddenly start speaking it. If you don't have time to learn a new language, just learn a few Latin phrases.
- A common saying that possessed people use in horror movies is 'Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus', which means 'I am Legion, for we are many'. Even if you said this in Dutch it would probably be very scary for others.
- Be careful about using foreign languages if your family or friends are studying them. You don't want to suddenly hear from your sister that your Latin has a really bad accent, with bad grammar.
- Another option is to simply chat unintelligibly. If you choose this route, make it sound like you're speaking another language by adding pauses and inflections to some "words."
Step 7. Develop a scary voice
When a demon speaks through a possessed person in movies, this voice usually sounds very low, sinister and raspy. Play with your voice to see what weird and scary sounds you can make. Watch some instructional videos online to increase your vocal range; especially to lower your voice.
- Record yourself on your phone using your scary voice. Use an app to make your voice sound deeper and scarier, then play this recording late at night while you're around others.
- Also use other vocalizations such as wheezing, hissing, growling and screaming/screaming. Use these sounds between sentences and words.
- People may think you have a mental disorder, such as depression (not interested in your favorite things, seeming empty inside), or a disability such as (a certain kind of) autism (which can involve rocking back and forth or words and sentences). You may be taken to a doctor for a mental health evaluation.
- If you use your common sense you will know that after a while you have to stop. To be honest, it would be your own fault if you didn't think logically enough to stop in time.