Would you like to contact your favorite movie star or singer/singer to let them know how much you appreciate their work? Or maybe you start with a signature collection? Contacting or meeting a famous person can be difficult due to their busy schedule and their strong need for personal privacy. But with a little work and some research, getting in touch with a celebrity will become possible through online channels, regular mail and agents/publishers.
Method 1 of 3: Using online services
Step 1. Check out your favorite celebrity's Twitter account
Create a Twitter account and follow your favorite celebrity. Tweet them directly using the @ symbol followed by their name. Use hashtags your celebrity uses to increase their chances of seeing your posts.
- Follow Twitter accounts your celebrity follows. This makes your tweets much more visible. Also try to connect to these accounts. Maybe they have a good word for you with the celebrity.
- Make sure you follow the celebrity's verified account. This is indicated by a blue checkmark next to the account name.
Step 2. Contact the celebrity via Facebook
If possible, you should add the celebrity as a friend on Facebook. Otherwise you can “like” their page. Many celebrities disable private messaging on this platform, but in many cases you will still be able to communicate with them by commenting on posts on their wall. If you can send private messages, please do so in a friendly, polite manner when you try to get in touch.
In your message, tell the celebrity what you think about him or her and why he or she is important to you. By making it a personal message you increase the chance that you will be contacted
Step 3. Get your celebrity's attention on Instagram
While some celebrities may have private messaging disabled, it never hurts to send a direct message. Comment on photos or posts from your celebrity. You never know if a celebrity will respond to a particular comment.
- Upload photos similar to the ones you see on your celebrity's Instagram. Contact the celebrity through photos or shared interests.
- Hashtag the celebrity in the photos you upload or use the same hashtags as the celebrity. Avoid hashtagging too much as you may come across as overly assertive or obnoxious.
Step 4. Contact celebrities through their official website
Official celebrity or fan websites may have forums that your celebrity reads and responds to. Post to online sites like this one to increase your chances of reaching your celebrity and getting a response.
Find recent posts or comments from the celebrity to other members of the site. Inactivity is a good indication that your chances of contact are rather slim. In these cases, you should try to contact the celebrity through other platforms
Step 5. Do some research on the platforms your celebrity uses
Focus on the platforms your celebrity is most active on. View their user history to see if they have already responded to other users. Twitter in particular is a popular platform where users often get a “shoot out” of their favorite celebrities.
If you find that your star rarely or never uses a particular platform to interact with his or her fans, then you should focus on where he or she is more active
Step 6. Send persistent but respectful messages to the celebrity
Write a thorough message expressing your feelings towards the celebrity. Ask for a personalized answer in your message. Send some follow-up messages over time.
- Try to show respect for the fact that this person really doesn't know you, although you probably feel like you've known each other for a long time.
- Send follow-up messages between two weeks and a month after your original message. Summarize your previous message. Mention again that you would like to receive an answer.
- Limit your follow-up messages to two or three per month. Sending more messages can be interpreted as being too insistent, although it can also be taken with humor. Judge yourself.
Step 7. Write your messages clearly and concisely
Posts that are too long or not about anything are likely to be overlooked. Focus on specific experiences, such as when you realized how much you appreciated the celebrity's work when you first saw them live.
- Write a unique and captivating message to your celebrity. Talk about the impact he or she has had on your life. Try adding a story from your childhood. That will help to stand out from all the other fans.
- Don't forget to include a short request for a response, such as “If you could send me a short, personal message with your signature, I'd really appreciate it”.
Step 8. Send messages through various platforms
However, you should use common sense when doing this. In some cases, flooding a celebrity with messages across all of their electronic accounts will make him or her interpret it as too intrusive. You can try two platforms first and then two others and alternate between them.
Step 9. Participate in his or her fans' events
Fans often craft gifts for the celebrity on special dates, such as for their birthday or the first major "release." Participating in such activities may allow you to connect more closely with the celebrity.
- You can make certain proposals regarding gifts for your celebrity such as collages, gift baskets, handmade goods and many more.
- Question and Answer (Q&A) events. Come up with interesting questions and follow the event guidelines to ask them.
- Come up with the proposal to give a gift in honor of a special event. Write something like, "Hey everyone, I was just thinking about xxx's birthday coming up and I thought it would be fun to organize something cool."
Step 10. Wait patiently for an answer
Depending on the celebrity, they may get tens or even thousands of messages a day. It can take a significant amount of time for the celebrity or his or her agent(s) to find yours among all these posts.
While you wait, you can participate in fan activities. You might hear about “meet & greet” meetings or other opportunities to make contact
Method 2 of 3: Contacting celebrities through the mail
Step 1. Find their address
Fan mail addresses can often be found on the celebrity's official website. There are also special paid guides that contain the contact details of famous people. This information often includes representative management such as agents, representative companies and more.
- You may find a suitable mailing address for a celebrity with a simple keyword search such as “fan mail for John Doe”.
- Paid celebrity guides are usually inexpensive and significantly increase your chances of getting an answer. Find these using a keyword search such as “celebrity contact directories/services”.
Step 2. Write a letter
A handwritten letter will likely have a greater impact. Try to write as beautifully as possible and try not to make corrections so that the overall impression remains neat. Mention specifics like what you like most about this celebrity. Ask the celebrity to send you a short answer.
- You can also include things like an autograph, a photo of the celebrity or of yourself, a magazine clipping of an interview with the celebrity, and so on.
- Make things as easy as possible for the celebrity. Include an already stamped envelope with the return address on it.
Step 3. Send the letter
Address the letter and ensure the correct postage. If you do not know how much this postage is then you should visit your local post office and have them review the letter. Send your letter as soon as possible for your celebrity to receive and reply.
Step #4. Stay up to date with your celebrity news while you wait
You never know if the celebrity you're trying to contact will suddenly hold an online Q&A session. He or she may be responding to a correct comment you posted in a forum on their official website. Continue to engage with the rest of the fans to increase your chances of getting in touch while you wait for a reply letter.
Method 3 of 3: Trying to contact celebrities through their agents, managers, or publishers
Step 1. Try to contact celebrities through their agent or publisher
You can try to reach the celebrity for a variety of reasons: a chance to meet the person, to get an autograph, or for business reasons such as discussing advertising opportunities. Usually, celebrities don't handle their business deals personally; hence agents used to book celebrities for a performance, concert, endorsement, movie or similar activity. Publishers regulate everything that has to do with the public, such as magazine articles, blogs and interviews.
- Agents, managers, and publishers all represent celebrities in different ways. They handle the business and image related aspects of the celebrity. There are several ways to get in touch with these representatives.
- The manager's job is to provide career advice and together with the agent (and the celebrity) they will have to sign any deals that their client makes.
- The best way is via email and this is how most celebrity business is handled. Email can be traced and therefore it is the preferred method of contacting representatives.
- The telephone is another option, but this is not the best way to make contact. Also, it's important to keep in mind that many agents have multiple assistants, so it's unlikely you'll be able to reach the rep over the phone.
- Snail mail isn't a viable option unless you're sending free products to someone. And even for this you will want to have spoken to the representative by mail or telephone before you send the goods.
- Please note that representatives are contacted for business and advertising purposes only and never for fan mail.
- Celebrities often change representatives. You can track these changes by booking a database of agent information.
- A celebrity's manager is involved in all aspects of their career. Lesser known artists may have only one manager. These people are usually very busy, but can help contact the celebrity.
- While the celebrity publisher usually doesn't have much to say about business deals, they are a valuable part of the team as they ensure the celebrity gets the best exposure possible. You should try to contact this publisher if you need a special fan or press pass to attend the celebrity's events and concerts.
- You may find the information of a manager, agent, or publisher on the celebrity's Facebook page.
- Check out your celebrity's Internet Movie Database (IMDB) or Wikipedia page. You can often find information about publishers or management companies here. Find the specific information you need.
Step 2. Compose a suitable message
Depending on the contact information you found, this could be an email or a handwritten letter. You may choose to split the letter in half; one part for the publisher and one part for the celebrity. Be clear and straightforward. Ask specifically for a message back so that you have proof of your contact.
- When you write to a publisher, manager, etc. you can say things like “Thank you for helping us fans get in touch with xxx”.
- Add a request to your message if appropriate. For example, it's common for a concert promoter to ask for a ticket to the concert and a chance to meet the celebrity.
- Some celebrities employ a large number of staff who handle their public relations. If you have the contact information of some of these people then you should try them all. It is unlikely that these people will discuss any fan mail they have received among themselves.
Step 3. Send your message
It may take a while before you receive a reply to your message. It could be a "prepared" reply of the kind "The celebrity is too busy to reply to your message right now".
After a significant amount of time has passed, such as a few weeks to a month, you should try another way to get in touch. Try to stand out from the crowd, but don't overdo it
- Celebrities often change agencies or representatives. The addresses you find on the internet or in books may already be dated.
- Write “Forwarding Service Requested” below the destination so that the post office will hopefully forward your letter to the celebrity's current address. This can cost money.
- If you have ugly handwriting, it's okay to type your letter. However, to personalize the letter you can decorate it by hand.
- Be respectful of the celebrity when you send the message. They are only human, just like you.
- Your message will likely be seen by many people, so don't say anything that is too personal or embarrassing. Personal details can make agents decide not to pass on your letter.
- You should not constantly call, harass or stalk the celebrity. If you don't get an answer after one or two letters, you have to stop. Repeated or rude requests may be considered defamation or stalking in serious cases.
- Some services that claim to connect you with your celebrity may be a scam. Always research online businesses first and take the necessary steps to prevent identity theft.