Some people may want to break out of their shell and become more exciting for themselves and for others. People who are not boring are often outgoing and adventurous. To be a less boring person, it is important to be open to others, have a sense of humor and be adventurous. Being a less boring person can change your personal interactions, your social world and your daily life.
Method 1 of 3: Find adventures to make you less bored
Step 1. Show interest in a wide variety of people, places, and things
If you try to look beyond what you know, you learn more interesting things. Boring people are often not interested in people other than themselves, which makes them less fun to hang out with.
- Visit new neighborhoods and restaurants. Don't go to the same place every day because you will never experience anything new.
- Read about several people who are not like you. This can be people from a different country, region, ethnic group or gender.
- Listen to different music genres. Even if you don't always understand it at first, try to listen to new and interesting music from a different background than your own.
Step 2. Try to learn a new skill or take up a new hobby
Learning a new skill or hobby can force you to challenge yourself. A new hobby or skill can be fun to talk to people about and show that you're an interesting person, rather than someone who doesn't like learning new things.
- Hobbies can also introduce you to new people who share your hobby. Learning to play the guitar with others can help you make new friends.
- Starting a hobby like cooking can also give you something to talk about with others. If people can relate to your hobby, they are more likely to be interested in learning more about it.
Step 3. Travel to new and exciting locations
Travel broadens your view of the world and gives you interesting stories to tell others. Even if you just go to the next province, traveling to a different place always gives interesting stories to tell, instead of boring stories about the same places you always go.
- Search for cheap flights from the nearest airport. Who knows, there are offers to (exotic) places.
- Experience new cultures. Immersing yourself in different cultures can broaden your horizons.
Step 4. Join interesting clubs or groups
Getting involved in activities outside of work or school can give you fun things to talk about. It also shows that you are interested in broadening your horizons and not just hanging around the same people doing the same things.
- Find an indoor sports league. Even if you only exercise as a hobby, it can bring great social benefits and personal satisfaction.
- Look for volunteer groups you might find interesting. There are many volunteer groups that fit your interests. Helping other people can also make you feel better.
Step 5. Get creative in your experiences
Something exciting like skydiving lets others know you're up for a challenge. It also shows that you like to try new things and have fun while doing different things.
- Go skydiving alone or with a group. It can be a fun activity that is a unique experience in your life.
- Take on new challenges like rock climbing. Outdoor activities like hiking can also be a fun way to get creative experiences and become a less boring person.
Method 2 of 3: Be curious about others instead of being bored
Step 1. Listen to others when they talk
Talking to other people means that you should also listen to what they have to say. Boring people don't listen, but instead just wait for the other person to stop talking so they can start talking themselves; instead, you always listen to others so that you can have an actual conversation with each other.
- Pay attention to the other person's body language. If the person looks slouched, with arms crossed, or seems uninterested, they may be bored talking to you.
- Ask lots of questions about the other person. Try using standard conversation starters like "What do you do for a living?" but instead ask fun questions like "What's the best part of your week?" or "What really gets you excited."
Step 2. Share your opinion
Boring people often have no opinion or are afraid to express their opinion. Sharing your opinion shows that you are attentive and have something to contribute.
- If you disagree with someone, you should consider their opinion. Don't attack the other person, but show that you are listening and really listening.
- When you do share your opinion, make sure you know both sides of the conversation. Otherwise you may come across as uninformed.
Step 3. Try to have fun talking to others
Look for opportunities to have a good time. Boring people are often inhibited or afraid to do something that seems crazy; instead, always try to find a way to have fun with others.
- If you have any skills or talents, show them. Don't put yourself in the spotlight, but find ways to show what you can do.
- Try not to worry too much about what others think. Being yourself and acting accordingly will make you a less boring person.
Step 4. Be positive about your life
Boring people often complain about their lives and work, while less boring people see life more positively. Talk about the things you care about, not the things that annoy you.
When you talk to people about what you are passionate about in life, you are more interesting and engaging to others. Being passionate really shows in your non-verbal body language
Step 5. Let other people shine
Also focus on the talents and skills of other people. When you talk to them, ask them about the things they care about so that the conversation doesn't have to be just about you.
Don't be conceited. Don't worry about how you come across to others. When other people are the center of attention, it doesn't make you boring
Step 6. Smile when talking to others
A smile shows that you approach life with a positive attitude and that you are interested in making friends. If you have a blank or sad expression on your face, you will come across as dull and closed off to others.
- Smiling makes you feel happier and more open to new situations. It can really improve your mood and make you more likely to talk to others.
- Smiling at others is often contagious. They will want to smile back at you and be more open when they talk to you.
Method 3 of 3: Using your sense of humor to interest others
Step 1. Make laughter a priority
If laughing is important to you, you will make an effort to laugh when you are around others. It is part of your personality to be a person who likes to laugh, which shows that you take joy in life. Boring people, on the other hand, often seem joyless and don't smile often.
- Laughter brings people closer together. It connects them socially through the shared experience of laughter.
- Making laughter a priority shows that you are a happy person. It shows that you are in touch with yourself and others.
Step 2. Don't be afraid to act crazy or weird
Sometimes it's good to dance like a fool, have unusual conversations, or do crazy things. If you hide your weird side from others, you may close yourself off from them and they may start to see you as a boring person.
- Always involve others in your craziness. Don't be a clown to others, let them participate in a fun activity.
- Going crazy also shows that you don't really care what others think. You are interested and consider others important, but not dependent on them for your self-esteem.
Step 3. Don't wait for others to have fun
Boring people often wait for others to entertain them. Instead, start the fun yourself and encourage others to participate in fun and playful activities.
- Start playing pranks on others when the opportunity arises. Maybe they're willing to join in the fun, but they were just waiting for others to get started.
- Do something silly or remarkable to gauge everyone's reaction. If they're amused or entertained, then you know they're also interested in laughing and having a good time.
Step 4. Try to see things from a unique perspective
Humor is a sign of intelligence and flexibility in perspective. Boring people often seem inflexible and unwilling to change their perspective.
- When people talk, think of funny ways to work with their words or actions. Don't insult them, but try to find humor in every conversation.
- Don't be afraid to joke about yourself. Being able to laugh at yourself shows that you don't take yourself too seriously.