This wikiHow teaches you how to disable your YouTube account's "Restricted Mode," which prevents you from seeing sensitive or disturbing content on YouTube, both on the YouTube mobile app and on the desktop site. If YouTube is restricted by a network block, such as on computers at school or on computers controlled by parents, you may be able to get around this by using a proxy site. Keep in mind that if YouTube is restricted, proxy sites can be blocked completely, making it impossible to lift the YouTube restriction.
Method 1 of 4: Restriction on a desktop
Step 1. Go to https://www.youtube.com/ in your browser
This will open your YouTube homepage if you are logged into your YouTube account.
- If you are not logged in to your YouTube account, click on To register in the top right corner of the page, and enter your email address and password.
Step 2. Click on your profile icon
It's in the top right corner of the YouTube page. When you click on it, a drop-down menu will appear.
Step 3. Click on Restricted Mode: On
It's at the bottom of the drop-down menu that appears when you click on your profile icon.
Step 4. Click on the toggle switch next to 'Activate Restricted Mode'
This disables restricted mode.
If the switch is gray and you can't click it, Restricted Mode has been locked by the account holder. You need your account password to unlock Restricted Mode
Step 5. Click on Unlock Restricted Mode on this browser
If Restricted Mode has been locked by the account holder, you must unlock it before you can disable Restricted Mode.
Step 6. Enter your YouTube password and press ↵ Enter
This confirms that you are the account holder and the restricted mode will be lifted.
- If you don't know the password, you'll need to clear your browser's cache and cookies to remove restricted mode. You may also need to sign in with a different account.
- If you're using a school, library, or company computer, Restricted Mode has likely been enabled by an administrator. Only an administrator can then disable restricted mode.
Method 2 of 4: Remove restrictions on a mobile
Step 1. Open YouTube
Tap the YouTube app icon, which looks like a white triangle on a red background. This will open your YouTube homepage if you are logged in.
- If you are not signed in to YouTube, tap the person profile icon at the top right of the screen, tap To register, and enter your email address and password (or select an account if prompted).
Step #2. Tap on your profile icon
It's in the top right corner of the screen. Tapping it will bring up a drop-down menu.
Step #3. Tap on Settings
This option is in the drop-down menu. The Settings page will now open.
Step #4. Tap on General (Android Only)
On Android phones and tablets, you need the General tap the option at the top of the menu to access the restricted mode settings.
Step 5. Tap the blue switch for 'Restricted Mode'
He's turning gray
to indicate that restricted mode is no longer active.
Step 6. Close and reopen the YouTube app
It may take a few minutes for previously restricted content to reappear in the YouTube app, but you can speed up the process by closing and reopening the YouTube app.
Method 3 of 4: On a game console, smart TV or streaming box
Step #1. Open the YouTube app
Select the YouTube app icon that resembles a white triangle on a red background. This will open the YouTube app on your game console, smart TV, or streaming box.
- If you are not logged in, you must select the To register select in the center of the screen and sign in with your Google email and password.
The YouTube app menus may vary by device.
Step #2. Select the Settings option
It is located at the bottom of the menu bar on the left. If you don't see the menu on the left, press the button Back/Exit/Circle/B until you see it. Press the left arrow button on the controller or remote to navigate all the way to the left. Then press the down button to navigate through the different options. Select the option Institutions next to the gear and press the confirm button OK or the menu.
Step 3. Select Restricted Mode
You can find this in the Settings menu. Use the arrow keys on the controller to navigate to this option and press the Confirm key to select it.
Step #4. Select Off
Use the arrow keys to navigate to 'Off' in the Restricted Mode menu and press the Confirm key to disable Restricted Mode.
Step 5. Restart your device
It may take a few minutes for previously restricted content to reappear on YouTube. Restart your device if the released content does not appear immediately.
Method 4 of 4: Using a proxy website
Step 1. Understand how proxies work
A proxy website sends your internet data through a different server than the one your current network uses, which usually removes all network restrictions. Proxy websites are often seen as insecure or untrustworthy by network blocks, which means that many proxy sites will not be available if your internet usage is being monitored.
Proxy sites also run significantly slower than normal browsers, meaning your YouTube viewing experience can be negatively affected if you use a proxy
Step 2. Select a proxy site
There are many free proxy sites that you can use to get around the limitations of your internet. One or more of your choices may be blocked due to network restrictions, so try each of the following until you find one that works:
- HideMe -
- Proxy Site -
- Whoer -
- ProxFree -
If none of the above proxy sites work, try searching for a proxy site by typing "free online proxy" (or a similar query) into a search engine and trying different proxies there. Be sure to thoroughly research the chosen proxy before entering any personal information into it.
Step 3. Locate the URL search bar
This is usually located in the middle of the proxy page. You can go to any website within the proxy webpage from here.
Step 4. Type www.youtube.com into the URL search bar of the proxy's webpage
YouTube will now be accessed through a proxy server.
Step 5. Edit the search properties if necessary
Many proxy sites have additional search options, such as the server location, that you can change to find your site.
For example, if you have the option to change the server location to your country's location, do so. Otherwise, you may not be able to watch some videos that are not available in your country (which has nothing to do with restricted mode)
Step 6. Do a search
Press the button go or Search, or press 'Enter'. This should take you to YouTube's webpage where you can find and watch all the content you would normally see on a network with no restrictions.
YouTube can run incredibly slow, especially if you're using a server in a country other than your own
- You may also be able to use a VPN if you can subscribe to a VPN and download the software for it on your internet connection.
- Disabling Restricted Mode will not bypass YouTube's regional filter, which is responsible for the "Video is not available in your region" error.
- Computers in public and school libraries can use content filtering solutions such as SafeSquid to enforce YouTube's restricted mode at the gateway level, so that users cannot disable the feature.
- Disabling YouTube's Restricted Mode may violate the terms and conditions for computer use at your workplace, school, or home.
- Never circumvent the rules or laws of your country, workplace or school without understanding the consequences of your actions.